Refreshing problem with external usb-drive

don't know what you mean by "other issue".

debug mode: there is no output. i.e. i reproduced the problem, nothing appeared.

.matthias

You said: I contacted GPsoft on another issue (bug) some time back, twice

Did you see any output for changes made to other paths (e.g. C:), or literally no output at all?

I find it takes a few changes before any start to be output in the debug window so the part of the FAQ about triggering some changes on C:\ (or some other drive where you know everything works okay) before testing the USB drive is important.

ah, i see what you mean by "other issue". i found workarounds for all of them... I don't feel like mentioning them now. A minor one was that a plus sign occurs when one drags a file onto a tab, even when the file is to be moved. A request of mine also was never put into practice even though it's a feature of windows explorer. I beliebe DOpus should have all features that windows explorer has. It's full row selection in the folder tree. very annoying with short folder names.

-matthias

after 10 operation on c:, i still do not get any output at all in the debug window.

-m

The FAQ is a bit out of date, debug output in Opus 9 is now sent to the system debugger. You'll need to download and install DbgView from microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... gview.mspx to see the debug output.

This must have slipped through the cracks, because the only support request I can find from you was in May this year when you requested full-row selection in the Folder Tree (which, as I remember, we did implement soon after.)

Other than that the only messages I can find from you are from 2005 when you were evaluating Opus, and another one in May where you asked us for a discount (because you were a poor student). Sorry if you don't feel this level of support (discounts, plus requested features implemented very quickly) is good enough :frowning:

@jon

1. I sent more mails directly to support staff.
  2. To my knowledge, full-row selection is not implemented for the folder tree as of date. At least it does not work and I cannot find any option to enable it.
  3. My financial situation is of absolutely no interest to the forum readers. After all, I paid for the software. Nobody I know pays for software.
  4. There is a privacy problem when you bring together my Identity and my forum data, and disclose information to the public.
  5. I'm just joking, it's not an issue after all, and I am very much willing to re-think my opinion of GPSoft and support quality! Sorry!

:slight_smile: :wink: :sunglasses:

1. As I said, it/they must have slipped through the cracks. Feel free to send it/them again.
  2. Preferences / Listers / Folder Tree / Full-row selection
    3&4: Nobody here knows who you are unless you tell them. I haven't disclosed anything that could identify who you are.
    5: That's ok then!

| 2. Preferences / Listers / Folder Tree / Full-row selection

That's ultra-cool......!!!! I always read and configure options preferences very carefully, so I suspect the change was made and possibly did not occur in the version change log, but I might be wrong. I am so happy!

| 3&4: Nobody here knows who you are unless you tell them. I haven't disclosed anything that could identify who you are.

Sure, I was just shocked that someone actually searched in the data base for me. As a rule, information sent in mails should never be made public without explicit consent... but, let's let bygones be bygones...

| 5: That's ok then!

yes, you made my day, you restored my trust in gpsoft, pointed me to THE one feature I was missing so badly, and encouraged me send in requests/bugs I find in the future. To become a saint, you need to fix the external HD bug. I am not fully comfortable with that debug program yet but will send in some logs in the next days.

As a hint, I suppose the problem might have to do with western digitals funcion of re-activating the HD spin as soon as the usb cable is plugged back in, and the auto-stop-function which lets the drive stop after a certain time of non-activity. THis might confuse opus.

matthias

I've corrected the FAQ for Opus 9 and DebugView.

(as I said the problem seems to be related to the Western Digital MyBook HDD series. These external drives have an (probably not disable-able) function that

• stops the drive automatically after a certain time of non-access
  • restarts the drive when it is accessed
  • starts the drive when its usb cable is plugged in
  • stops the drive when its usb cable is plugged out

especially the latter two seem to cause the problem. the problem probably does not occur when one uses the on/off buttom on the drive.

i tested a trekstor external (usb-power-driven) 40 gb usb drive that does not have the above-mentioned features. what i can say is that correct use of this drive (remove hardware icon) never led to problems described in the beginning of the thread.

sorry i did not do any more "scientific, systematic" problem-solving / error -searching / debug stuff.

have a nice day.

-m