Regarding update 12.7.5 and Group improvement

I see we have more flexible usage of groups in the latest update but I still think there is room for improvement in that regard. Here are a few more suggestion to help please the OCD group afficionados among us.

No Keyboard focus on group headers option / mode
An option to make group headers unfocusable with keyboard navigation - so they can be interacted with only via mouse. When all groups are expanded and you need them that way - you should not be concerned about headers unless you want to click a header to select it's files. Otherwise there's a risk when going through files and let's say deleting - to accidentaly delete while focused on a header -> which would select all files under it and then delete them all..

Accordion behaviour for groups (when keyboard navigating through files)
In this mode only one group is expanded in the tab at all times - the one whose file has keyboard cursor focus. Multiselection notwithstanding. When getting to the end of it and hitting down arrow - automatically collapse it and expand the next one and start going through it's files and so on.
Here's an example of how it behaves: https://jqueryui.com/accordion

Auto expand all groups with results for FAYT filtering/selection
FAYT filtering/selection on filenames in collapsed groups only displays the group header. It should expand all related groups that have matches so they can be seen and interacted with without having to manually expand groups.

Group expand/collapse lists as folder format settings:
Folder fomats > Expanded group whitelist (listed groups are expanded, all others are collapsed) or blacklist (listed groups are collapsed, all others are expanded). Could be just a simple input field with group names separated by a semicolon.

That's all I have for now, thanks for reading.

From the keyboard, doing that would require that you moved on to the group with the cursor keys, and then pushed space to select everything in the group. Just moving on to the group via keyboard won't select it, and Delete is disabled at that point, unless you push space. (At least, that's how it seems to work here.)

That might be the case indeed, but it still eats up a click and gets in the way of finger auto-memory if you could call it that.

I assume this would only be if the group was expanded?

Could be both for expanded and collapsed actually, because when you select files with shift and then use arrows and go over a collapsed group all its files get included in the selection. I know skipping these might sound counter-intuitive at first but sometimes you only want to work on those expanded groups and collapsed ones come as a kind of mini-hide-filter. It's up to you how you prefer though, I'm not being pushy or anything :wink:

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. We'll put them on the list!

1 Like

Much appreciated, Jon :sunny: