Remember each folder's view settings?

AFAIK, Windows Explorer does not store the view settings for each folder in the folder itself but centrally in the Registry and only for a limited number of folders, so that's why Windows Explorer forgets folder view settings after a while. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

What would be the point of Opus not storing the list of formats centrally?

Sure, that would unclutter the list in Preferences if you have thousands of per-folder formats... but only because the list in Preferences wouldn't show any of them. What's the actual advantage? If you're not going to expand that part of the formats list then you're not going to care where they are stored on disk.

One of the points I can think of now is that when the folder name (or any parent folder name) gets changed the central list does not work anymore for this folder.

I personally don't care if the option gets cluttered with 50million diff folder views as I tweak each one manually...

That's how MIRC does it too, u can set the width of the user bar per channel, and itll reember it per channel.

It just doesn't make sense for us to do it manually, I mean the functionality is there right? If I want to go and customize 50million diff unique folder views for 50million diff folders? Then why not just save it automatically?

Yes YOU may not want to go back to a messed up folder view after you are playing around with it, but Im sure there are other people (ie: me), that actually do!

Perhaps we can have a quick reset button for you, where as if you go to a folderview that u previously played around with and now its all messed up, 1 button reset for that folder.

And quite honestly the whole settting the options for subfolders doesnt really work for me, as the subfolders contain other views I want.

So I guess the question is, since its quite obvious that Opus doesn't have this basic functionality..... Do you intend on adding it in the near future? As some1 has suggested, it'd be nice if Opus gave us both the options depending on the users.

Type1: user like me, save every window change (ie: remmeber each folders view setting)
Type 2: the status quo.

Are there any plans, to impliment this basic "rememeber each folder's view setting?"

Opus is fairly good, We just upgraded our comps to vista and itd be nice to get rid of the vista explorer problems around the house, but this feature is definately key.... why? because some of the household users arent as tech savy, and definately wont be going into options to save each and every folder view... this should be done automatically...

I guess if there are no plans to provide this option soon, I will not even be bothering to check for updates... I uninstalled OPUS today when I got the confirmaton that it didn't have this basic feature, and if its intended to stay that way... then its time to move on to the next VISTA EXPLORER replacement...

It's quite saddening how much time/resources was put into all these fancy unnecessary features, and its quite shocking you guys forgot to impliment the most basic one....... Remembering folder views!!

Please advise if this is going to change...

thank you...

Good luck with the product

Why don't you create a button which makes it more easy to save a folder format?

This way, you do not have to do the "save-dance"!

--- PERSONAL OPINION BEGIN ---

Personally, I do not understand why you want to customize so many folders with so many different format? For me it looks like you do not have a good folder structure. I save my music to a specifically designated folder with ONE folder format. The same I do for videos, docs, etc. So I have 10 folder formats which I designed for their appropriate tasks.

--- PERSONAL OPINION END ---

The default is something like 1000, but can be changed to about 8000 in the registry.

The point is - I think - that some people have a more static folder structure; these people may be satisfied with the actual mode DOpus handles folder formats.
Then there are other people where everything is floating, they always create new folders with new subfolders, change folder names, etc.

Both working-styles have their justification and depend from the things the users want to do with their computer.

[quote="xbprm"]Why don't you create a button which makes it more easy to save a folder format?

This way, you do not have to do the "save-dance"!

--- PERSONAL OPINION BEGIN ---

Personally, I do not understand why you want to customize so many folders with so many different format? For me it looks like you do not have a good folder structure. I save my music to a specifically designated folder with ONE folder format. The same I do for videos, docs, etc. So I have 10 folder formats which I designed for their appropriate tasks.

--- PERSONAL OPINION END ---[/quote]

Your post basically says I should reorganize myself to suit how a program works, rather than use a program that works for me :unamused: . While I may agree with that logic for a freeware program... if Opus is expecting $$$, then I expect it to do what I want it to do, not bottleneck myself on what it thinks I should do.

And another major annoyance was hovering colors...

In windows xp/vista if im moving a file from 1 folder to another via holding left click, and dragging (drag and drop), the destination folder is usually highlighted in blue as I hover my mouse on it.......

Opus only has a very thin Grey border which is barely visible... what the heck?

I looked at the colors, and all i found was how to change txt color and BG clors.... nothing about hovering colors when a file is about to be dropper in....

Major annoyance, as I work on a very high resoltuion, and I was dropping files into wrong folders in a rush.....

Opus shows a "Target: <folder you're about to drop into>" tooltip as well, or at least does for me. (It's not optional AFIAK but I might be wrong.)

Well quite honestly, color coding to see if you're dropping it correctly is a lt faster than having to read text.......

Decided to give opus another shot when the tech suport team claimed I can do what I want... but clearly they seem incorrect.

Below is the email, I last sent it on Feb9... no reply back yet after that....
He seems to think what I want is possible..... So either him, or the replies here are incorrect.

Sent: February 9, 2009 5:40:39 AM
To: greg@gpsoft.com.au
But I'd have to go in the options each time to save each one, one by one, would I not?!
This isnt what Im trying to do, I'd like to change them on the fly, every time I want and not worry about going in the option to save em...

For example, after I set my default template for the entire computer drive and subfolders... I'd open the C drive and see the column at lets say 200 width (default set by me).
Now I'd like to stretch that a bit to lets say 250, and go into program files, I want only C drive to show 250, program files to show 200...
Now I close the explorer and go back in my comp, c drive, i want C drive to remember that it was 250 without me having to save it....

Now les say that I deem 250 is a bit too big for me (2min after setting it), I now want to change it to 225, well the next time I go in C drive, i want it to have width of 225..... WITHOUT saving it manually every time...

I just want to be able to resize a column, and have it auto save for that folder as I browse.... and this isnt possible with what I know....

Correct me if Im wrong?

To:
Subject: RE: Web Support 360003961744 : Usage
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 13:37:22 +1000

You can. Just do them one by one. You could even set up a special button to
take the current format and apply it to the current folder if you wanted.
See the manual and the Resource Centre for further information.
__
Regards, Dr Greg Perry
GPSoftware, PO Box 570, Ashgrove, Qld Australia 4060 Ph/fax +617 33661402
Email: www.gpsoft.com.au
Sent: Monday, 9 February 2009 12:31 PM
To: greg@gpsoft.com.au

That's not at all what I asked...

I have too many folders, and I want to customize each one on the fly, and
then modify them again whenever I feel like it without having to go to the
options and saving it every time..

You know what I mean?

XP and Vista have a feature that Remembers the folder views that was last
viewwed for every folder....
I want opus to do that, without having to save each and everyone.....

To:
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 11:47:49 +1000

Hi Neg,

Many thanks for your interest in Directory Opus 9.

It sounds like you are on the right track:) You need set the global
formats
in Preferences - Folders - Folder Formats then the default formats such as
Custom (the actual default format) then others such as Local Drives or
specific folders if you wish.

Perhaps delete or turn off all but the Custom folder settings to start
with
then work up from there. In Folder Formats (top section) delete all but
leave anything with COLL://. Leave the Content Type Formats alone and for
Default Formats, turn off all then ensure that the Custom Format is how
you
want it. Save Preferences. Close Opus fully (tray menu - Exit) and rerun
and
start from there.

Remember that there is a special feature of Opus called Automatic
recognition of Content Type. Did you not notice the Content type field on
the bottom right of the status bar? This shows you what content type has
been selected for the types of files in the current folder.

You can turn this off from the Content Type field by setting this to
Disabled or from Preferences - Folders - Options - Enable Folder Content
Type detection.

Note that Content Type is a powerful system but can take a little
refinement
depending on just how you use your machine. We have tried to set the
defaults to 'acceptable' values but refinement may be needed.

Content type is an extension of the normal Opus Folder Options system so
you
can define and control exactly what it does.

For example, go to Prefs - Folders - Folder Formats and expand the Content
Type formats section. Highlight, say, Images and click Edit (or just
Double-Click) and you will see the standard-type dialogs for Folder
Options.
Here you can set what you want the Content type formats to display as you
want and you can change the Sort Order etc. Note that these settings
complement the existing Folder Options in the Lister - by that I mean if
you
do not have a setting turned on, e.g. Sorting, then the content type will
not change this. Maybe all you have to do is turn off Sorting on the
Content
type you are interested in?

Also check the Options - here you can change the Threshold - which is
sometimes too low depending on the types of files you are looking at.
Also,
you can create your own Content Types if you wish to refine the system
further.

Have a read of the section in the Changes document on Content type and you
will gain a good overview of the system.

But, if you don't want it. Just turn it off!

Also see

[Folder Formats: Quick Guide)

If you still have a problem, ask a question on the DOpus Resource Centre
forums.

__
Regards, Dr Greg Perry
GPSoftware, PO Box 570, Ashgrove, Qld Australia 4060 Ph/fax +617 33661402
Email: www.gpsoft.com.au

User Name: neg fus
Registration Code: Evaluation User
Tracking Number: 360003961744
Support Issue: Usage
Version: Directory Opus 9.1
Windows Version: Windows Vista x64 (64 bit)
Submission Date: 2/8/2009 5:01:42 PM

Hello,

I am trying this program because my main turnoff with vista is how it
cant seem to remembers how I like my folders.

Now after an hour or two, I figured out how to get OPUS to remember
some folders if I click on 'Edit the current appearance and setting of
the current folder' button on the toolbar, and then click the 'save the
current folder format'...

Simply put, I'm looking for the feature that windows 95, 98, 2000, me,
xp, and vista all have, its called: 'Remember each folder's view
setting'... as the name implies it remembers each folders view settings
(or is supposed to anyways), now yours does the trick if I go in there
and save it etc, but if I want to change it on the fly really quick,
and forget to save it again, itll just revert back to the old
setting....

Isn't there a way like in win 95,98,xp..etc where I can go in my C
drive and set the folder I want for all the subfolders (yes I can do
this in OPUS), BUT THEN as I browse the sub folders underneath, if some
of them have extra large filenames, I'd like to expand THAT folders
filename size and NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT CLICKING 3 extra times to get
it to REMEMBER that view, it should REMEMBER this view automatically,
and AGAIN automatically should I decide to change this..

Does OPUS not have this basic 'REMEMBER EACH FOLDER'S VIEW SETTINGS'
thats inherent in all the operating systems so far?!

There's no mode to automatically remember changes made to the folder within the file display itself. You have to at least click a button to save the changes. It looks like Greg thought you were asking a different question.

For column widths I use the auto-size option myself, though I realise that may not be what you want.

Just as an aside, it's a bit rude to post a private email conversation in public without the permission of the other party...

Well either he, or the people on the forums were wrong, so without posting I wouldn't know who was giving the accurate advice...

[quote="negativefusion"]Well quite honestly, color coding to see if you're dropping it correctly is a lt faster than having to read text.......

Decided to give opus another shot when the tech suport team claimed I can do what I want... but clearly they seem incorrect.[/quote]

So no way to color code the hoverbox? ..... gotta rely on tooltip on hover only?

Well either he, or the people on the forums were wrong, so without posting I wouldn't know who was giving the accurate advice...[/quote]
That still doesn't excuse your bad manners.

Its a lot easier to post the convo than start a discussion and say "well he said, this, but you said this"...

Rather than paraphrase what he said... simply quote...

Just an update:

Mr Greg never bothered to reply back after I told him to re read my email a month ago...

I found this rather unprofessional of "customer service".

Considering my problem still isn't solved.

You got an answer here on the forum. What more did you want Greg to add? As I said, he seemed to think you were asking a different question. The answer I gave, that you can't auto-save changes to folders right now, is definitive. No need to get confirmation from Greg.

And not every feature request is going to be implemented immediately. There are only so many hours in the day and GPSoftware have a huge request list to work through.