Rename Bug?

Works fine for me:

Strange... It doesn't work for me (doing exactly the same thing).
What version do you have? I have the Unicode version (8.2.1.0 U).

Strange. My screenshot was not done with the latest public release - so to properly test I just installed the latest version 8.2.1.0U on another machine and it definately works fine.

Perhaps you could post a screenshot of your advanced rename dialog and something obvious may be apparent.

:blush: :blush:
So sorry... my misstake....

I didn't notice that the file name was actually *.jpg_ yenc and not *.jpg_yenc. That is why the file was not found :blush:

BTW, is there some way of renaming by adding an extension to a file?
For example: *.abc => *.abc.jpg ??

(The files do not always end with "c", so nothing to search for)

old name

new name
*.jpg

This appears to be the right thread so I will add to it.

I am trying to rename certain file extensions and don't know where to start... I've also not read the manual serially as I'm trying to solve a specific problem. Perhaps this makes topics appear disjointed and "out of context".

(Chapter 14 Predefined Commands -- (page 129) "All Commands - Predefined" -- where is that located?) (8.2.1.0.U, XP-Pro-SP2 whatever).

From first message here: [quote]I tried the "advanced" rename (FileCommand|Rename).

1. I selected "Find and Replace" and checked "include file extension". [/quote]When I File|Find (Ctlr+F) and go to Advanced, I can enter the find criteria (extension to look for) and the correct files are returned. I do not have a Find and Replace option.

There is File|File Commands|Rename - which when selected does nothing. I don't understand the purpose of the list therefore. It appears as if it should link to all those functions. If not how is it used?

[quote="Dick Pape"]

There is File|File Commands|Rename - which when selected does nothing. I don't understand the purpose of the list therefore. It appears as if it should link to all those functions. If not how is it used?[/quote]

Are you trying to write a script or using the built-in feature? If the later, then, File|File Commands|Rename is correct. However, you must first select the files that you want to rename (otherwise nothing happens).
Incidentally, I had the same problem at first :confused:

[quote="JohnZeman"]old name

new name
*.jpg[/quote]

Thanks,
Got it when I tried standard rename.
(I tried find/replace)

Thanks viking for the fast response.

1. I know nothing about the scripts. I read about them but do not know anything about how to invoke their power.... I blame it on pdf obscuro or moreso user obscuro. I have very simple needs - file copy and file move. I have other utilities specializing in rename and duplicate detection.

2. I'm dealing (I did not setup a test case) with a directory of 16,000 files. Dopus never finishes trying to do something with my Select All. I've have to go to Windows Task Manager to cancel the 100% cpu usage that that invokes. I don't understand what it is trying to do. I've let it go on for some time before aborting the task.

3. In this case can I do a Find first to reduce the number of entries and then select to get the Rename to come up?

[quote="Dick Pape"]

1. I'm dealing (I did not setup a test case) with a directory of 16,000 files. Dopus never finishes trying to do something with my Select All. I've have to go to Windows Task Manager to cancel the 100% cpu usage that that invokes. I don't understand what it is trying to do. I've let it go on for some time before aborting the task.

2. In this case can I do a Find first to reduce the number of entries and then select to get the Rename to come up?[/quote]

I am also having problems with dopus often starting to go at 100% CPU. Not sure what is causing it. There were a couple of threads on the subject (I was in one of them) but I don't think it was ever resolved. I ususally have to cancel dopus as well.... [It just happened now as I was testing this].

However, I usually do not have any problems with selecting all. In a directory with 15,900 files (pure concidece :wink: ) ctrl-A selects all files instantly (even on an NTFS partition*).

You could also select files of interest using Edit|Select... and type in the pattern, e.g. *.jpg.

*) p.s. If you are working with directories with a large number of files there is a substantial performance improvent by using FAT32 instead of NTFS. I did several tests on this; For example, to open a folder with 20,000 images in Windows Explorer takes 10-20x longer on NTFS than on FAT32

For issues with 100% CPU in certain directories, see this FAQ.

IF I understand correctly, the "faulty" plugin is working even when just opening dopus lister?

BTW, How would I know if the plugin is a Dopus plugin or 3rd party?

That's possible, yes; e.g. to generate the Description column.

Select the Plugin under Preferences and choose About to see who made it.

Dick Pape, I am also having the 100% CPU problem now......
See new post here: [Dopus at 100% CPU)

[quote="viking"]Dick Pape, I am also having the 100% CPU problem now......
See new post here: [Dopus at 100% CPU)[/quote]
I think those are separate issues. I think Dick Pape is talking about high CPU usage just from loading a directory, which is likely to be the movie plugin (or rather a codec it is relying on) choking on some of the files in the folder when trying to generate a Description or thumbnail.

It's working hard on font files (ttf/otf) -- not movies as such.

That's something I haven't seen before (although I only view my Fonts dir in Opus every few months so I'd easily miss it, but it seems fine on this machine with just some default fonts).

Have you tried running FileMon to see if any particular fonts (or types of fonts) are triggering the problem? Maybe it's particular to the OTF support that was added recently? (I don't have any OTF fonts so if it is that then it might explain why I can't see the problem.)

Thanks for responding.

1. I'm surprised you don't have any OTF fonts -- they come with all modern Windows operating systems !! OHMYGOD, you're not running Bill's finest!??
  2. I work with large numbers of font files all the time and have no problems (2k-10k). When I fuss with extra large directories (20k) then the slow down occurs. (I have a fairly recent Dell 3.4gh, 1gb box.)
  3. I think the problem existed far before the recent update.

It's not a problem to leave it alone at this time as it doesn't bother me to have to reboot my computer every now and again and again... serves me right for accumulating too many fonts. DP

Are you sure, or do you mean Vista or something? I've got Windows XP Professional installed on this machine and under C:\Windows\Fonts there are 521 .TTF files, 141 .FON files and 0 .OTF files. (Or are you considering .TTF files as OTF fonts? They are similar...)

That's possible. If I understand it correctly, the OTF extension indicates the font has Type1 routines attached. With a TTF extension, the font could include Open Type features and would show with an O icon). If it has a TT icon, it doesn't have the Open Type enhancements. As far as basic Windows is concerned you may not notice any difference.

All my basic Arial and Times New Roman fonts show as .ttf extensions yet show the O icon. They are open type formats.

I've not heard of anything different about Vista fonts at this time.