Rename parent folder from selected file metadata

I try to rename the parent folder from metadata of a mp3 file.

Rename FILEINFO "{filepath$|..|noterm}" TO="{mp3artist} - {mp3album} ({mp3year})" 

But don't work :frowning:

You can't do it like that. That command is using the parent folder name as a rename pattern to rename the selected file not the parent folder.

If you want to use one file's information to rename something else (e.g. it's parent folder), you'll have to use a rename script.

(You can move the file itself to a new folder, but that would not remove the old parent folder, nor bring along any other files in the same folder unless they also had the same metadata. e.g. A bunch of tagged MP3 files could be moved that way, but a playlist or coverart image int he same folder would not move with them without using a script.)

I play with script and i need help. On this simple example, i want to move all selected file to folder name by value "artist".

@nodeselect Rename FILEINFO TO="{mp3artist}" @script vbscript Option Explicit dim DOpusRTPath DOpusRTPath = "C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" Dim Shell Set Shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") Dim fFirst fFirst = TRUE Function Rename_GetNewName(strFileName, strFilePath, fIsFolder, strOldName, ByRef strNewName) Dim strCommand Dim artist if fFirst then fFirst = FALSE artist = strNewName strCommand = """" & DOpusRTPath & """ /cmd Copy MOVE HERE CREATEFOLDER="" & artist""" Shell.Run strCommand,0,false end if strNewName = "" End Function

But files are move to folder named "& artist"... I need help...

Try this:

@nodeselect Rename FILEINFO TO="{mp3artist}\*"

Thanks but I know that...
My script does not do anything useful by itself, but i want to play with script...

Did you try this one? Possibly you can modify it to your needs:
[url]Sort music files and go to the target folder]

Here the good script...

@nodeselect Rename FILEINFO TO="{mp3artist}_{mp3album}_{mp3year}" @script vbscript Option Explicit dim DOpusRTPath DOpusRTPath = "C:\Program Files\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" Dim Shell Set Shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") Dim fFirst fFirst = TRUE Function Rename_GetNewName(strFileName, strFilePath, fIsFolder, strOldName, ByRef strNewName) Dim strCommand Dim artist Dim strInfoArray Dim album Dim annee strInfoArray = split(strNewName, "_") strNewName = "" If fFirst Then fFirst = FALSE artist = strInfoArray(0) album = strInfoArray(1) annee = strInfoArray(2) strCommand = """" & DOpusRTPath & """ /cmd Rename {filepath$|..|noterm} TO=""" & artist & " - " & album & " (" & annee & ")""" Shell.Run strCommand,0,false End if End Function

Nice one!
Works fine for me. Thank you for sharing!