Rename question, not sure if DO can do

Hi,

I own a Canon 1d Mark II digital camera and it is able to save sound files associated with a certain picture. The sound file is a .WAV file and has the same name as the picture, with the extension obviously being different. Once all my pictures have been edited, I rename them to something that describes the event or I give them a name based on the date the photos were taken. I run into some issues with these wave files.

• If i rename all the .cr2 files to whatever I want, then the .wav file is no longer associated with the picture and i will never be able to remember which file to rename it to.

• What I do right now is do a batch rename up until (and including) the picture that has the .wav associated with it. Then rename the .wav file. I then batch rename the next bunch until i get to another .wav file and off I go that way. While this is fine if I only have a few .wav files in the batch, it does get tedious to do when i have a lot of them.

My question is... Can I create a button, or program the batch rename so that I can rename the bunch of pictures all at once and have the .wav remain associated with the proper picture? As my rename scheme is never truly consistent, it would be preferable to not have to create a button where I hard code a specific rename (based on date for instance). Of course if that is the only way, then I can just edit the button to change the prefix of the new file names.

Hopefully that makes some sense.

TIA!

Hello FatherTime,
It's an old problem with a new twist.
If anyone knows a better answer, I'd like to know too.

I have a Minolta A1 that records jpg, tiff, or mrw Raw files.
Problem is that the thumbnail image is recorded in a separate thm file.
The thm file does not contain EXIF data.
The A1 can also record wav files as yours does, but I've never used this function.

I have an old 4NT batch file that does almost what you want ( 4NT costs much $$$).
It uses the free version of ExifUtils.

However, I think what you really need is a command line program. I know I can do it.
It would pipe data from the free version of ExifUtils ( date- time) and rename any wav file of the same name as well.

I'll have some time this weekend.
But, it's an amateur solution at best.
Well, perhaps other people see something I don't here.

Good Luck !
It is probably better to submit a feature request to GPsoft.
I'll see what I can do his weekend though.

Regards,
Zippo

FatherTime, can you give us an example of the type of batch rename you're doing?

I have included a screen cap of what the final result looks like.

Zippo: I also use BreezeBrowzer to convert my raw files into tiff files for editing. Breezebrowser has a batch rename function that automatically renames the .wav file or .thm (my old canon 10d) files in one step. I have not had a lot of. wav files recently so i use the 2 or 3 steps in DO to accomplish this. the last time I had a lot to do, I simply used BB.

Renaming the .thm in DO is not a problem because there is a thm file for every .cr2 file. Therefore I can do the rename process in 2 steps. One for the .cr2 and one for the .thm and can be guaranteed they will match up in the end. The .wav is different because not every photo has a .wav associated with it.

edit: Zippo, i do not use the built in exif data to rename the final files because I cannot get the format I want by using the Exif data, so I am forced to manually select a rename scheme. Which is why renaming my old .thm files (when i had my 10d) was never really a big deal.

That's how the filenames need to end up, but what about the other half, how they start off?

Also, I notice you've got the extension column on, but also show extensions in the filename column. Is this just so you can sort by extension? You can do that without the extension column:

Hold shift and click the filename column and the sort arrow will point right to indicate it's sorting by extension. Clicking again (without shift) toggles through 4 modes now (sort by filename, sort by extension, and the reverse orders of those two). Shift-clicking again gets you back to normal with just the normal filename and reverse sort modes.

Nudel.... the original filename structure of my digital files is: GZ4X7401.CR2 where the first 4 characters are always the same and the last 4 numbers is what increases.

The following are the settings I use when renaming:

Old Name: (.).(.)
New Name: 2006-10-01_.\2
Type: Regular expression
Sequential numbering from: 001 by 1

The New Name i manually key in because I do not know if it is possible to use Exif data or some other reg exp method of getting the date to show up in that format. The date represents the date the photos were shot, not the date I finally got around to editing the pictures. I can use the EXIF data from the picture, but then it gives me the format (10_1_2006 8_02_17.jpg) if i select pictures/shooting time from the available information fields.

Thanks for the info about shift-clicking the name column. I did not know about that little trick. I had managed to get it once or twice, but was not sure what I had done to get it and never noticed any difference (i believe the folder had files with the same extension in it). Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:[/b]

Got you.

I don't know a way to do this at the moment, except by using an external script/program.

I would probably use the numbers in the filename (assuming they're increasing like on my camera) instead of generate numbers. So GZ4X7401.CR2 would become 2006-10-01_7401.CR2 and so on. That way the wav files will keep the same number as their respective CR2 files, and you can do the THM files at the same time.

From GZ4X*.* to 2006-10-01_. or something like that.

Not quite as nice numbering, but still increasing and not too ugly.

A bit off topic:
FWIW the core problem FT is dealing may very well be exasperated in
the not very distant future as xmp slowly works its way into
photography. For those who don't know, xmp is a format Adobe is
developing and pushing to become a standard. It's a small text file
that must have the exact same name of the image it's associated with,
except for its xmp extension. Like other current photography sidecar
files, xmp sidecars hold a lot of information about the image itself,
but it can also hold any modifications made to the image. The general
idea is the original image then, never actually needs to be modified.
Any changes made to it are instead stored in the xmp sidecar file
leaving the original intact as it came out of the camera. At this
point xmp seems to be as controversial as welcomed, but I suspect
within just a few short years it will become a standard.

Which means besides the current .WAV, .THM, and many other existing
sidecar buddy files we have to keep associated with our images, we'll
have yet one more.

This is just one reason why last year I bought a program that is
specially designed to deal with all these potential image related
problems and more. I went with IMatch, however there are several
other good ones available as well and all of them virtually eliminate
the problem FT is dealing with.

I love Opus, I use it all the time every day, but for some things I've
found it's best to go with a specialized tool.

I love the idea of never losing the original file, but I wonder why they don't do what lots of other programs/formats do and use a zip file (or whatever) containing the original and the sidecar (and whatever else) so people can easily work with the files and can still dig into them in the rare cases where using a tool won't work? Maybe that doesn't make sense for huge image files or something.

[quote="JohnZeman"]A bit off topic:

I love Opus, I use it all the time every day, but for some things I've
found it's best to go with a specialized tool.[/quote]

Well back in the day i used to use BreezeBrower to rename my pictures because it would auto rename the .thm and .wav files as well. however, I no longer use my Canon 10d as my main camera and i find Capture One to be a much superior program to convert my raw images to .tiff. However it cannot rename. there fore i need to keep BB installed solely for image renaming. I guess there is no way to get around this. It would have been nice to consolidate some of my main tasks into one program instead of having to keep other apps around solely for doing a single task.

The problem with zip or rar files is that in order to view the image you have to decompress it. I suppose this could work but if you do not know what the image looks like you have to decompress an entire batch in order to simply find the one image you are looking for.

I have not done a lot of research into the Adobe PNG file type that they are trying to push. Perhaps that would work. However, then I have another worry. Capture One and other programs that convert Canon raw files will not work with DNG file types. I do not want to be stuck having to use Photoshop to open the files after. Also, it is a conversion process... Will i lose any information doing this or will it alter information causing issues in the future.?

The sidecar files pose the same issue with renaming as the .thm files do. While this is a 2 step process to rename,(1. rename .thm and 2. rename .crw) it works fine because you know there is always a .thm associated with the .crw file. So there is no really big issue there. However, right now the .xmp sidecar files are only generated by photoshop if you use their raw converter. I only use that to proof some pictures due to it's speed. I much prefer Capture One or BB because the colours are much more accurate. I still cannot get the Photoshop ACR software to get the reds right.

Just to run with this a bit further.

I also shoot in raw, and I can appreciate the desire to limit the number of applications required to take a photo from the camera to its final destination as a converted image. Right now I'm down to three aps to do this, and believe it or not Opus isn't one of them. I use Breeze Systems Downloader Pro (Beta 2 version) to download my images, renaming them as it does. Next I'll use Lightroom (beta 4.1) to process my CR2 raws into high quality JPGs, and then I'll do everything else with IMatch after that.

I had been using RawShooter Premium for my raw processing but the more I use Lightroom, even in beta, the more I like it, so I've been using that instead. At this point I'm not sure if I'll be using Lightroom or Photoshop CS3 (also in beta) to process my raws in the near future but I'll have both so it'll be fun making that decision, :smiley:

[quote="JohnZeman"]Next I'll use Lightroom (beta 4.1) to process my CR2 raws into high quality JPGs, and then I'll do everything else with IMatch after that.

[/quote]

How does Lightroom work with Tiff files... and how accurate is it with the reds? I find that the Photoshop ACR software is totally inadequate in that regard. I only really started to notice it a lot when I took a picture of a Ferrari at an outdoor car show and the car came out orange with PS, yet came out just fine in Capture One and BB. C1 is still better than BB.

As to downloading the pix, i just stick my 6gig card in a card reader and drag and drop. A lot easier than using an application. I edit the photos, sort them and then rename them. I have pix of me and the family that I want kept separate from the scenics, so renaming them right from the camera is useless

All images, whether jpg, tiff, or raw, have to be imported into Lightroom. I've rarely imported jpgs or tiffs as I'll usually go the other way around, from raw to jpg or when necessary raw to tiff.

In regards to how LR handles the reds, as an amateur enthusiast my eye is not trained like a professional's is, but I have never noticed anything unusual about the reds in Lightroom. There are however tools to correct both white balance and individual reds, yellows, greens, cyans, blues and magentas should you have a need to.

Right now the biggest complaint against LR is it requires a workhorse of a computer to run smoothly. My machine with dual processors and 4gb of memory has no problems but those running with 1 gig are constantly complaining.

I used to drag and drop from my card to the HD but Downloader Pro fires up automatically whenever I stick a card into the reader so in a way it's not like I'm launching another program as it launches itself. I finally settled upon a file renaming scheme based upon the image EXIF date. It works very well for me but I realize others have different renaming needs.

Thankyou FatherTime,
A very enjoyable discussion.

Regards,
Zippo