Rename with faster "Retry"

Hi guys.. o)

I often inline rename files, still being locked or used by some other program. DO then gives me this error-dialog:

I then hit "Retry" after closing the file in the external program and what then happens, is something i never get used to, DO opens it's rename dialog:

When hitting "Retry" in the error-dialog, I always expect the rename operation to be executed right again, as I did not set up an advanced rename action, while inline renaming manually.
Said different: Why is "Retry" not retry, but "Open Rename Dialog" ? I can see situations where one would like to enter the rename dialog and change the rename action, but when inline renaming, I always and 100% just hit "Ok" in the rename dialog, to get that "Retry" eventually done.
Perhaps somebody else feels like I do and perhaps there's something I can do, to keep away the big rename dialog when retrying? Maybe it's an option for future releases to get just another button in that rename error-dialog, to be able to actually "retry" the action quickly or to "adjust" the rename action.

Thank you for your patients and attention.. o)
Rob.

FWIW, I agree. :slight_smile:

Weird. I posted similar request half year ago and no one agreed. :frowning: But I'm happy to hear that you changed your mind. :wink:

If you mess with renaming, please also look at this thread.

@Leo
Fine.. o)

@daroc
I read your thread.. yes indeed, same topic.. o)

+1 :wink:

+1 also

+1 here as well...

To the point daroc made in his older thread - about there already being alot (4) buttons on the current Rename ~conflict dialog that pops up... I'd vote for making an updated Rename ~conflict dialog look similar to the 'Confirm File Replace' dialog, where we could have some drop downs with an expanded set of options like:

..and the straight click on "Retry" just retries the rename, no further dialog involved.
That would be sweet, nice fake Steje!.. o)

Great idea steje. This has bugged me for a while.

+1 That bugs me too.

++1 Great idea stege.

lol - thank tbone and daroc - I just jumped on their bandwagon and made a mock-up of how I'd prefer it :slight_smile:.

It's been this way for awhile, but has only been bothering me more semi-recently, as it seems like more apps I use today than before lock files on open and block renames/deletes, etc...

And @tbone, yeah - I'd prefer a straight click on a drop-down / combo Retry button to just retry the previously requested rename... with maybe drop down options to do things like:

• Retry (Retry same rename) - our preferred default click behavior

• Rename New - preserve the current behavior here
  • Rename New (Auto) - explained more below under Rename Old (Auto)

• Rename Old - maybe something useful if you try to rename a file to a name already taken in the dir (as opposed to a file lock blocking an otherwise valid unique new name for the rename), and get a 'Cannot create a file when that file already exists (183)' error instead of the one mentioned here...
  • Rename Old (Auto) - similar to above, when rename fails due to existing name conflict instead of locked file condition - with an auto appended suffix similar to how pasting text to file display or the 'copy whenexists=rename' comand adds (1), (2) suffix, but to the old filename... for copy, the "Rename Old" option actually adds an (Original) suffix first. Whatever though, I hope the basic idea makes sense and is useful to someone

And then just Skip / Skip All on the 'Skip' drop down button...

[quote="steje"]

• Rename Old - maybe something useful if you try to rename a file to a name already taken in the dir (as opposed to a file lock blocking an otherwise valid unique new name for the rename), and get a 'Cannot create a file when that file already exists (183)' error instead of the one mentioned here...
  • Rename Old (Auto) - similar to above, when rename fails due to existing name conflict instead of locked file condition - with an auto appended suffix similar to how pasting text to file display or the 'copy whenexists=rename' comand adds (1), (2) suffix, but to the old filename... for copy, the "Rename Old" option actually adds an (Original) suffix first. Whatever though, I hope the basic idea makes sense and is useful to someone

And then just Skip / Skip All on the 'Skip' drop down button...[/quote]

+1 on this luxury dopus-like behaviour

[quote="steje"]

And then just Skip / Skip All on the 'Skip' drop down button...[/quote]

I was about to post the same request because I realized I needed this often, then I found this debate and I agree with the last idea.
I would only add that "Skip all" is not necessary when you in-line rename files one by one.

GPSoft, I hope you will be able to implement these changes soon.

Yeah don't display advanced rename dialog on retry (as described in first post) if simple rename operation was used :confused:
It always surprises and confuses me, please fix.

Agreed.. I tend to react like "huh?? what now?" whenever this happens.