Renaming multiple files from multiple folders

Hello,

I've got a couple of hundred folders of pics and they are a complete mess. What I want to do is have the contents of each folder be renamed after the parent folder with sequential numbering. For example:

c:\Hawaii\nov23haw.jpg -> Hawaii01.jpg

I've found a way to do it with another program but the problem is that it doesn't take into account when a new folder starts. So the first file in the second folder becomes something like:

Idaho11.jpg

Because the last file in Hawaii was named Hawaii10.jpg and it just keeps going.

So, I need either a way to take all of the selected folders and automagically rename their files after the parent folder with sequential numbers starting fresh in every folder. Or I can use the other program if there is a way to just remove the sequential numbers and re-add them starting fresh in every folder with 01.

I know there is some way to do all this with just a couple of mouse clicks but I have no idea how! Sorry I'm such a noob. Thanks for any replies.

I don't think renaming by parent directory is available in the current version of Opus. However you can sequentially number the files during a rename operation, it's one of the options in the standard renaming tool (File/File Commands/Rename). Keep in mind though to do what you want, you'd have to do the renaming one folder at a time as Opus will keep the numbers going like the other program does. See page 148 of the Opus 8 manual for more information on sequential number renaming.

By the way if I really wanted to rename all the files in a lot of folders like this where the numbering resets each time you change folders, I'd write a script to do it.

8.2.2.1 (5 May 2006):

File information rename extended with the addition of the {parent} code to reference the name of the parent folder. {parent} (or {parent1} returns the name of the parent folder, {parent2} returns the parent's parent, {parent3} returns the parent's parent's parent, etc.

:slight_smile:

Hi John,
For what it's worth, I'm twisted up on it too.
I don't see that I can do it yet.
I'll sleep on it......

Zippo

Thanks for the replies. :smiley:

8.2.2.1 (5 May 2006):

File information rename extended with the addition of the {parent} code to reference the name of the parent folder. {parent} (or {parent1} returns the name of the parent folder, {parent2} returns the parent's parent, {parent3} returns the parent's parent's parent, etc.

:slight_smile:[/quote]

However, {parent} doesn't yet appear in the list of available fields though :frowning: (using 8.2.2.5).

Until I read this, I spent ages trying to rename some files using the name of the folder.

Oops, looks like an oversight - thanks.

Hello all,

I have the same problem as TS. I have a collection of pictures sorted into subfolders. I need to rename this files , with the name of the subfolder and a number.
Is there in the latest DOpus version a possibillity to make this thing work?

greetings

There hasn't been a new version since the issue was found & reported.

{parent} should work in rename, it's just not shown in the drop-down list of fields.

Oops, I got confused with something else. (Something to do with the Location column in Collections, I think. Not sure not. Probably not relevant to this thread anyway, so ignore me.)

About which fields do you speak?

spyder
Try with this... Renaming on basis of folder name But you can't start again sequential numbering with each folder.

The original thread was about Opus 8.