Renaming with IGNOREEXT when name contains ( ) [ ]

For example:
input > in the lister , execute commands as below:
(Original file name is (aaa.txt or [aaa.txt, then)
Rename IGNOREEXT FROM="(aaa.txt" TO="0005" ----will fail
Rename IGNOREEXT FROM="[aaa.txt" TO="0005" ----will fail
Rename FROM="(aaa.txt" TO="0005" ----will success
Rename FROM="[aaa.txt" TO="0005" ----will success

If original file name is (aaa or [aaa, with no extension, then all commands above will success.
Rename IGNOREEXT FROM="(aaa" TO="0005" ----will success

So, it is a bug with "IGNOREEXT ".
Could you please solve it? thanks!

( and [ are wildcard characters. You should put a ' before them to escape them if you want to match them as literals when renaming in wildcard mode (which is the default).

(This is true whether or not IGNOREEXT is being used. If it works without that, it was just luck.)

thank you for replying!
" put a ' before them to escape them" , how to do this?
like this?
Rename IGNOREEXT FROM="'(aaa.txt" TO="0005" ----will fail

or
Rename IGNOREEXT PATTERN * TO 0005
works

I missed the other half of the issue. The wildcard escaping probably doesn't matter, in fact.

If your filename is (aaa.txt and you use a pattern of (aaa.txt with IGNOREEXT then that won't work as the pattern doesn't match the filename. It would only work if the file had a name like (aaa.txt.jpg, because it is looking for (aaa.txt before the extension.

This will rename (aaa.* to 0005.* for all selected files:

Rename IGNOREEXT PATTERN="(aaa" TO="0005"

(Note that the PATTERN argument, does not need the ( to be escaped. Escaping things with the FROM argument is complicated and depends if only FROM is used or if both FROM and PATTERN are used together, I think.)

Or, if you want the file selection to be ignored and for (aaa.txt to always be the file that gets renamed:

Rename IGNOREEXT FROM="'(aaa.txt" PATTERN="(aaa" TO="0005"

Although there are much more direct ways of doing that, of course:

Rename FROM="(aaa.txt" TO="0005.txt"

If you want to change the file's extension as well then you should not be using IGNOREEXT at all, since the whole purpose of IGNOREEXT is to preserve the existing extension (so that you can ignore it when worrying about your wildcards / regular expressions / etc.)

Thanks for your answer!help me so much!

1 Like