Report JPG linear/progressive save method

Hello,

it seems that currently Directory Opus is not able to show wether a JPG is saved linear or progressive in the mouse-over info panel that pops op when hovering over a JPG file with the mouse.

There are options in the settings to adjust the info that can be shown, but the "linear/progressive" choise is not included.

Would be great to have that included, as some hardware (some mp3 players for example), support only linear saved JPG files and I'd like to quickly find out which files are affected.

Many thanks in advance,
Robert

A script add-in could work out the information and display it in a column or Info Tips, but would be fairly complicated to write (since it'd have to parse the JPEG headers, although some people suggest just looking for a particular pair of bytes in the file, which I don't think would be reliable).

But if you want a way to quickly list all progressive JPEGs below the current folder, and don't mind it being in a command prompt, you could make an Opus button which uses ExifTool to print a list of them:

Function: MS-DOS Batch Function

cd {sourcepath}
"C:\Path\To\ExifTool\ExifTool.exe" -r -p "$filepath" -if "$EncodingProcess =~ /Progressive/ or $Photoshopformat =~ /Progressive/" -ext jpg .
pause

(Most of the ExifTool command arguments came from the Detecting Progressive JPG files thread on the ExifTool forum.)

Hello Leo,

thanks for your reply.
MS-Dos prompts unfortunately will not help as that is too time consuming.

I found a better workaround with the help of an "Extended EXIF" script in the German DOPUS communit forum here:

Basically it requires exiftool.exe and reads out more EXIF information that then can be displayed as columns in DOPUS or in the tool tips as I intend to.

If you now could integrate that natively in DOPUS that might help others as well.