REQUEST: Add (user input) to the beginning of file name

Here's one that comes up a LOT for me, maybe others. It's easy to do by hand, but I'd like to automate it, as sometimes I'm renaming thousands of files at a time.

Got filename like...

file title.ext

and I wanna add the author name (a couple dozen have the same author-name) to make it look like
author name - file title.ext
so I go (from the main RENAME window)

OLD NAME: .
NEW NAME: author name - .
and hit enter.
But because the RENAME field comes up with NEW NAME highlighted, the actions necessary to accomplish this are I have to go SHIFT-TAB (kinda awkward finger movement), replace old name with ., TAB (easy), replace new name with "author name - ."
and hit enter.

When you're doing this several thousand times, this repetitive action becomes bothersome.

Is there a way to automate it so it just asks for "author name" and plugs it in, to get the results above?

You could use this script posted by JohnZeman and modified by Kundal.

I personally use Kundal's three-way button. Left-button to start inserting from left. Right-button to start inserting from right.

Once you have that script/button, all you would need to do is select the files you want to add text, click the button, and type in:

1,author name - 

This would insert the "author name - " (the text you typed in) at the beginning of the file names.

If you always want to insert at the beginning of a file name, you could also just use:

Rename PATTERN "*" TO "{dlgstring|Author Name?}*" @nodeselect
If you always want the " - " to be inserted so you don't have to type it, you could use:

Rename PATTERN "*" TO "{dlgstring|Author Name?} - *" @nodeselect

Hope this helps.

With Dynamic Renamer, the input would be:

-^/author name -/

[quote="ktbcrash"]You could use this script posted by JohnZeman and modified by Kundal.
Hope this helps.[/quote]

That looks exactly like what I'm after. Thank you!

Quick question. The link you provided, is it to the original (JohnZeman) version, or the modified (Kundal) version of the script?

If you just want to do what was in the first post in this thread, making a button or hotkey which runs ktbcrash's last 2-line command is all you really need.

Using a complex script is overkill if you just want to add text to the start of a name, with a prompt for the text. Ktbcrash's command does it all in just two lines.

The link is to a thread with both. You can see who posted what by looking on the right of each post.