Request for option to make file replace dialogs the same size

A little thing that bothers me. As a mouse (not keyboard) user, I find it frustrating that the buttons in the file replace dialog (especially 'replace') can be in a different place for each file when you do a multi-file copy/move. What it means is that I click replace on the first file, then because the button moves for the next file, I have to move the mouse to find the new position for the replace button for the second file, so I can click it.

Can we have an option to keep the buttons in the same place for each file please? I don't mind if it means getting rid of the editable filename field from the dialog, which seems to be the cause of the problem - I never rename a file while copying/moving, I always rename it before (via the inline rename dialog), so having the ability to rename a file after I click the copy/move button is of no interest to me.

It's actually for the non-editable name, so you can see the full name of the file being replaced, which people complained was truncated in the past.

I guess an option is possible, and maybe a tooltip to show the full name if it is truncated.

I think this item from 12.1.1 Beta has done the trick (at least on my limited testing it has) :slight_smile:

With further testing, it works well mostly - but I have just encountered a situation where it doesn't work (ie the buttons are moved). I don't know what the differences are between these two files (which cause the buttons to move), and the other moves/copies I've done, which don't cause the buttons to move.

Here's a video:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105 ... Dialog.wmv (464KB, WMV)

I think I have worked out the difference. The other files I was copying - which do work - do not have a description field entry (so for example, they are just plain text files). The files I am copying in this example are executables - so they do have a description, and I think it is the long description field which breaks this.

The good news is that sometime in the last few updates, the case I describe above appears to have been fixed :slight_smile:

The bad news is that I have found another case where the buttons still change position. I was copying some files from a .zip file to a folder, where the files already existed. I clicked Replace on the first file dialog, then when the second file dialog appeared, the button had moved. I clicked it, then the third dialog appeared. This one was for a folder, so the Replace was now a Merge, but it was in the same spot as the Replace button in the second dialog (but different to the Replace button in the first dialog). After clicking Merge, the fourth (and last) dialog popped up, and this time the Replace button had moved again, closer to the position of the Replace button in the first dialog.

Would be great if this case could be fixed as well :slight_smile:

If you're clicking without looking at the dialog, you're presumably not checking any of the details about what is being replaced, and intending to click Replace on everything.

If so, why not just use the Replace All option the first time you are prompted?

Then you will normally only have to click once, and any time another dialog appears, you know it's for a different situation and needs to be looked at to see what is happening and which button to click.

(The folder merge prompts can be turned off as well, if you don't want them getting in the way.)

It's a safety belt basically. Yes, I do intend - when I do a copy - to overwrite all the files. But, it has happened on rare occasions that I have copied files into the wrong folder, and if I at least glance at the first replace dialog, I should hopefully see something is wrong (not guaranteed, but hopefully - the safety belt aspect is what has stopped me from asking for an option to totally disable any and all overwrite prompts).

I'm just a mouse user - if I was a keyboard user, which admittedly what Opus is clearly intended for - the differing positions of the buttons between each dialog would not bother me. But having the button jump around the screen, and having to keep moving my mouse to find the buttons new position each time is a real irritant (I've not used any other file manager which changes the position of the replace dialog like Opus does).

[quote="blueloo"]It's a safety belt basically. Yes, I do intend - when I do a copy - to overwrite all the files. But, it has happened on rare occasions that I have copied files into the wrong folder, and if I at least glance at the first replace dialog, I should hopefully see something is wrong (not guaranteed, but hopefully - the safety belt aspect is what has stopped me from asking for an option to totally disable any and all overwrite prompts).

I'm just a mouse user - if I was a keyboard user, which admittedly what Opus is clearly intended for - the differing positions of the buttons between each dialog would not bother me. But having the button jump around the screen, and having to keep moving my mouse to find the buttons new position each time is a real irritant (I've not used any other file manager which changes the position of the replace dialog like Opus does).[/quote]

You didn't answer Leo's question at all. You seem to be saying that you really only care about the first replace dialog in case you've made a mistake in specifying the destination. So, again, why not click Replace All in that dialog and not worry about the others which you seem not to be really looking at anyway?