Reuse windows?

Is there a way to reuse windows (lister) when working with dopus? Every time I click a folder, it opens a new instance of dopus. I'd rather it reuse the existing session.

There's an option to open new folders in new tabs (rather than new windows), but there isn't one to overwrite the existing file list. You could probably create such an option via regedit if that's what you want, but would new tabs do the job?

Tabs might do it.

How do other people do it? Do you open several instances? Go with tabs?

If you type "external folders" into the Preferences filter it will find you the checkbox which lets you make new tabs open instead of new windows.

A lot of people use the tabs option but I open new windows myself. (I don't use tabs very often in Opus in general.)

I always turn off the "reuse existing window" option in IE since it drives me crazy when it replaces pages I was trying to read with new ones I double-clicked on. In Firefox I've set new pages to open in new tabs (since I do use tabs a lot when browsing the web).

I don't understand anything about this thread so far.

If I have the contents of a folder displayed in a lister and I (double)click a folder shown in the lister, the contents of that (double)clicked folder are now shown in the lister replacing what was previously shown. I don't get either a new lister or new tab.

"(double)click" means I get the described results when I double click if not in single click mode or when I single click if in single click mode.

We're talking about when folders are opened outside of Opus, not when they're double-clicked inside of Opus.

e.g. If you go to Start->Run and type a folder name.

[quote="nudel"]We're talking about when folders are opened outside of Opus, not when they're double-clicked inside of Opus.

e.g. If you go to Start->Run and type a folder name.[/quote]

Is there a way to insure that Dopus always opens the existing saved tabs when starting? Even with the "open external folders in a new tab" box checked, if Dopus isn't currently running, and a folder on the desktop is double-clicked for example, Dopus will start with just that one desktop folder open in a single tab (rather than opening all the saved tabs it should remember, and adding the new desktop folder to a new tab). If you then start Dopus by clicking on a Dopus icon, a second instance of Dopus starts which DOES have all the saved tabs reopened. But now you have 2 instances of Dopus going, one with the old tabs and one with the new tab.

A way around this, of course, is to always have Dopus running in the tray, but there should be a way to force Dopus to always pull up the saved tabs, no matter how you start it, and to force only a single instance of Dopus running.

Thanks.

musth, not at the moment, no. If you open a new lister then it'll restore whatever saved tabs are part of the default lister. But I think if you double-click on a folder outside of Opus and that happens to trigger a new lister (because there are no existing listers to add the tab to) then it'll open a lister with just one tab for what you double-clicked.

I think this is just a combination of settings that nobody had considered until now. Now that you mention it, I agree that it would make sense for there to be an option which makes the default lister open (with all defined tabs in place), and then get a tab added for what was double-clicked.

Definitely an option though as some would prefer things the way they are. (And, if you think about it, there's no way to save a lister with zero tabs -- you have to have at least one -- so it has to be optional to give people the ability to open new listers showing a default location as well as the ability to double-click folders and see just those folders.)

Sorry about dredging up an older post, but I was wondering if there had been any response on this issue from the devs?

I usually have a number of tabs open and I like the fact that whenever I re-launch DOpus they all return and I can carry on from where I left off. I also have the option set to have externally launched folders open in new tabs rather than opening a new lister. ie I run just a single lister with mutliple tabs...nice and tidy. :slight_smile:

It annoys me no end, however, that if I happen to launch a folder externally when I don't have a Lister open (but DOpus is running in the tray) that a new lister is launched and all my previously opened tabs are not restored. All I see is a single tab for the externally launched folder. My previously opened tabs are gone forever! :frowning:

My preference would be that a lister is opened, your previously open tabs restored and the externally launched folder added as a new tab.

Is this at all possible (perhaps as an option)?

Thanks.

I don't think it has been fixed yet, but it has been reported to GPSoftware and I got the impression they agreed that it should be fixed but haven't got there yet on their to-do list.

Thanks Leo. Glad to hear it's made it on the list. :slight_smile:

I agree with discussions above, starting from musth's post.
I too want a single instance in all situations.
I like to keep some tabs open (same set as when DO last closed). They act as reminders to me, etc.
I thought I had my settings right, based on more recent threads on this subject.
However I just got more adventuress with creating links to folders within my great note keeping program (RightNote Pro)
The lnks work great in RighNote, HOWEVER every time I doublle click one of those links (within RightNote), a flippin new instance of DO opens.
To prove how desperate I am for this capability -
I would be happy for God to strike me down, if he ever caught me deliberately running two instances of any of my programs.

You're replying to an eleven year old thread. :slight_smile:

I think the option you want is Preferences / Launching Opus / Explorer Replacement / Open all Default Lister tabs when opening a new window.

If not, please start a new thread and explain what you want in detail.