Right click context menu gone for zip files

Hi All,

Directory Opus 9.1.3. Now, when I right click on Zip files, I don't get a context menu.

I still get the context menu in Windows Explorer.

If I set "Single click to open an item", the file doesn't open (7zip). Double clicking on the file opens it in Directory Opus (i.e. the zip file is valid).

Any ideas on what I can do for this would be most appreciated!

Rob
:slight_smile:

9.1 is an old version. The first thing you should do is upgrade to the most recent.

Thanks Steve, I will see if I can upgrade later, but I would like to fix this on the current version if possible. I am positive this isn't the cause of this issue - I have had no trouble with zip files until now.

You can upgrade if you're using a legitimate version - the upgrades to 9.5x are free.

There's not much point us spending time trying to solve problems on old versions which may well be fixed by simply upgrading.

Hi Steve,

I have a legit version and will upgrade when I can. Right now I am on dial up speed, having reached the bandwidth limit for my ISP and thus want to avoid the download.

I was hoping someone had a quick idea about this for me to try out in case it's something simple like a config change I made without noticing the effect it had on zip files (like I said - this worked previously).

Thanks anyway for the response Steve. I will switch over to Windows Explorer instead.

[quote="robertmarkbram"]Directory Opus 9.1.3. Now, when I right click on Zip files, I don't get a context menu.

I still get the context menu in Windows Explorer.

If I set "Single click to open an item", the file doesn't open (7zip). Double clicking on the file opens it in Directory Opus (i.e. the zip file is valid).[/quote]

I'm confused. What does the single-click option (in Opus or Explorer?), and 7zip have to do with the right-click context menus in Opus? (And if single-click is on why are you double-clicking? Or is that part of the issue?)

Anyway, if you don't get a context menu at all when you right-click a file it usually means the file cannot be accessed, not even as read-only. (Explorer will show a menu anyway in that case; Opus won't.)

(If the context menu is appearing but certain items are missing from it then which items are they?)

Hi Leo,

No need to be confused.

I was just filling in detail in case it might be important; the most recent change I made was turn on the single click option and (a while ago) removed Winzip for 7zip. Single click seemed important because single clicking on the zip file didn't do anything. Double clicking on it opened the file (in Directory Opus).

[quote="leo"]Anyway, if you don't get a context menu at all when you right-click a file it usually means the file cannot be accessed, not even as read-only. (Explorer will show a menu anyway in that case; Opus won't.)

(If the context menu is appearing but certain items are missing from it then which items are they?)[/quote]

The zip file is valid - and all the items are present.

Now that I test some more, the problem is a bit stranger (but solved sort of). Somehow, it only affects zip files (any zip file) in the Desktop folder. Once I moved it out of there, I can work with it as expected. So, problem solved.

Rob
:slight_smile:

Reproduced here - and FWIW I use PowerArchiver. Right-clicking a zip file on /desktop results in NO context menu being generated at all. Whereas accessing it through /desktopdir works ok.

I seem to recall there being a long standing issue like this specifically related to the "desktop" namespace item. I searched a bit here on the forum for a reference... but didn't turn up what I thought I remembered. If I'm not off my rocker - I thought it was determined to be a "Windows" issue and not directly an Opus issue.

FWIW, it's okay for me:

Maybe it's WinXP only you Win 7 fanboy you :wink:...

You might be right. I can reproduce it in an XP VM now that you mention it.

Seems odd as, like you say, Explore handles the context menus in the Desktop folder, and they work in Explorer itself as well. Quite strange.

( I guess it could be one of the things Microsoft fixed in the last decade. :slight_smile: )

I'd always use /desktopdir instead of Desktop anyway. Less clutter from unwanted icons.

You have icons on your desktop??? But... how do you appreciate your feline wallpaper properly with such additional clutter :wink: ?

It's bugging me that I can't find reference to issues with zip files on the desktop. Coulda sworn we had this awhile back as an MS issue, maybe even after a particular hotfix or some such business.

Steje, is this the thread you were thinking of?

[Right Click Context menu has stopped working)

Ah - I remember that one, but that's not the one I was thinking of. I thought we had one a while back specific to things not working on the "desktop". I'll thumb through some more before bothering to report it with the bug tool...

I played with this some more and it's definitely a Microsoft/Windows bug.

I rolled back my XP virtual machine to before Opus had been installed on it, so it's just a vanilla XP setup, then created a zip file on the desktop and tried to right-click it within the File -> Open dialog of Notepad. No context menu there, either.

Seems even MS are guilty of sometimes assuming that the shell is only used within Explorer.exe...