Right-click menus very slow

I have recently upgraded my PC and am now running the following spec:

Intel i7 10700F @ 2.90GHz (8 Cores, 16 Threads)

32GB DDR4 RAM

2TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 PCIe M.2 SSD

Various other drives, traditional and SSD internal and external for storage.

GeForce GTX 1070Ti Graphics

Windows 10 Pro build 19041.746

This is an upgrade from a PC with an Ivy Bridge quad core (8 thread) i7 CPU, and a 1TB NVMe PCIe drive, and Windows 7 Ultimate.

Now surely the upgraded PC should be faster?

The thing is that it seems to stop and think before performing ANY file operation. If I right-click on a file there is a pause of 5-10 seconds before the right-click menu appears. This happens regardless of the drive the file is stored on, and only seems to happen in Directory Opus - Windows Explorer right click give an immediate menu pop-up.

When using Windows 7 I didn't get this issue (or didn't notice it), so why is it different now? I suspect that it might be the anti-virus as I can't seem to turn off Windows Defender like I did in Win 7, but in all honesty this is only a guess. I am using Kaspersky Internet Security as my main protection (as I did on Win 7), but all settings appear to be as they were previously.

Please help. This is a major slowdown as I use the right button menu a lot!

Pez

Issues when right-clicking files are usually caused by shell extensions. See here for how to track down the cause:

Antivirus could be causing problems, but would usually only affect things like installers, exe files and archives. You can tell Defender to leave Opus alone by following this guide:

Thanks for that, but this is a fairly new (approx 2 months) installation of Windows 10. Everything added to the shell extensions was also on my old Windows 7 system, and running without any noticeable delay. There were also a LOT more extensions on my old system.
I currently have the following extensions:

• MediaInfo
  • Play with CyberLink PowerDVD 20
  • EZ CD Audio Converter
  • Kaspersky Internet Security
  • LockHunter
  • WinRAR

All these (and many, many more) were on my old system without causing any issues.

Also, it doesn't matter what type of file I right-click on, it still produces a round spinny thing (technical term), and takes several seconds before bringing up the menu.

On Windows 7 Defender was switched off, but Windows 10 seems to have a lot more happening, and Defender seems to be always active in certain areas. That's why I thought it might have something to do with it.

An more ideas?

Pez

Try disabling them, or the debugging mode mentioned in the guide, which will often reveal which one is taking a long time.

Try disabling Defender if you think that's involved. I linked to the guide on how to do that above.

Hi, I have the same issue, Right click instantaneous in Windows 11, taking ages in DOpus. Created an exception in Norton, MalwareBytes, Defender is disabled.

Hiding Windows items surely works, but it kind of defeats a big item for me as an Explorer replacement. It seems you have this same usage, so I wonder if you found a solution, hiding is not a solution for me.

Thanks.

PS: is there a specific reason why it works in Explorer and not in DOpus?

The most common problem report with slow context menus at the moment is people with iCloud installed, when right-clicking on OneDrive files. If that applies to you, we have a fix for it.

If that doesn't apply to you, you will need to follow the steps in Crash, exit or high CPU when right-clicking certain files to identify which shell extension is causing the delays.

Thanks. I checked it is happening in files and folder under DROPBOX. I tested outside the Dropbox folder and right click behaves as it should. Any similar fix for that?

BTW, iCloud sucks in Windows, keeps giving me annoying messages about iPhotos folder etc.

Try the Directory Opus 12.30.3 (Beta) which blocks iCloud by default. (We've noticed it doesn't block all of its menu items, just the one people were having trouble with, so we'll be improving the way we detect it in 12.31.)

If that doesn't work, you'll need to follow the steps in the FAQ I linked to identify the shell extension causing the delays.

Thanks. The Beta didn't work. I got rid of iCloud and all is working normally again.

iCloud might be affecting other things, I barely use it in my PC anyway.