Right click on file missing Mcafee option

In explorer i right click on a file and i can see scan with macfee but in explorer I can not i have checked everything it shows all my other pc programs that use the right click but not mcafee can this be fixed

We've looked into this before and found that Opus asks Mcafee's shell extension if it wants to add any context menus, but it always says no.

We don't know why, as we don't have the code for it.

Is there a way to fix this, personally wouldn't it be simpler for directory opus to create its own link in the context menu for this like zip file managers do. Other file managers have no problem so mcafee say its specific to directory opus and only you can fix it.

could it be that someone is using 32 context menu here and its not picking up on 64 bit windows just a thought

You could make your own menu item to do it.

It's not something we plan to do automatically. If McAfee's shell extension doesn't want to add items to our menus, we aren't going to try and detect that it's there and then force our own menu items into the menu in their place. (If we did that, we have no way to know that the commands we add will continue to work when they update and change their software.)

It's really something you should complain to McAfee about, since investigation on our side shows that we are asking their shell extension if it wants to add menu items, and it is saying no. The only people who can fix that are them.

(Or you could switch antivirus to something like NOD32 which has no issues like this. Although, I am not sure what the real purpose of scan options is in the context menu, considering most antivirus will scan files when they are created and accessed anyway.)

Mcafee said it was that fact your right ckick menu is not standard as you must be using a different command to access it.

just tested with total commander and no right click issues only your program would be good if you fix it as it does seem to be a opus bug not mcafees

McAfee haven't even investigated the problem, and are fobbing people off with flimsy excuses.

Saying something is "non-standard" isn't an explanation or reason for their component to not work correctly when it is asked to add menu items via the standard, documented API for doing so.

We've investigated the issue on our side and confirmed that Opus does ask McAfee if it wants to add menu items. It responds by not adding any menu items. We don't know why. We have no way to know why. For all we know, they check if the process name is "dopus.exe", or have a bug where they fail due to something that isn't part of the API specification.

It doesn't matter if it works in other programs. Almost all other programs just ask the shell to make their menus instead of doing it themselves. That means they have less control over their menus than Opus does. But the API is documented and Opus isn't doing anything non-standard.

McAfee are the only ones who can fix this, as the problem is in their DLL. Thousands of other shell extensions add items to Opus's menus perfectly well. The only reason you're asking us to fix this and not them is because we actually talk to people and try to investigate and fix things, and they ignore people or give a lazy one line reply at most. In this case, we cannot fix the problem because the problem is inside McAfee's DLL. If they are unwilling to investigate then the problem will not be solved.

We recommend switching to ESET/NOD32, if you want an antivirus where the right-click menus work correctly.

Edit: As a reminder, you can edit the Opus context menus yourself (one of the main advantages in Opus building its own menus instead of just asking the Windows shell to build and display the menus). If McAfee has a command line interface, you could add a menu item which runs McAfee on the selected files/folders. This is what some people have done for Norton (where Norton themselves confirmed they won't add menu items to anything but Explorer.exe for some reason).

3 Likes