Rotating JPEGs sometimes drops images from selection & shuffles files

Here are some observations I hope will help resolve images not rotating or displaying as expected with EXIF information present inside the image.
Here are my observations with Use EXIF information (if present) to auto-rotate images on (enabled):

1. Selecting multiple images and then rotating them left results in these issues:

The commands used for this observation were:

@nodeselect
Image ROTATE=-90 HERE REPLACE QUALITY=100
//Show VIEWERCMD=refresh

I will repeat my observations after changing the Use EXIF information (if present) to auto-rotate images to off (disabled), and post them separately.

Here are my observations with Use EXIF information (if present) to auto-rotate images off (disabled):

• Before any rotation, the Thumbnails show a different orientation than the viewer image's orientation. (Note: Opening the image in the MS Photos App shows the same orientation as the Viewer Pane.

Selecting multiple images and then rotating them left results:

I used the same rotate related commands as in my previous post in this topic.

Suggestions for Improvement:

1. Thumbnails & Viewer Pane

• Always synchronize the display orientations between the thumbnails and the viewer pane regardless of the Use EXIF information (if present) to auto-rotate setting.
  1. Respect the command to Rotate Left or -90
    Never rotate images 180 when the rotate Left is set to 270 or -90 (which should result in the same orientation).

2. @noDeselect Command

• When this command is present, always respect it's intent (keep images selected after rotate completes)

Hopefully there is either an explanation, workaround or a fix that will enable a more seamless workflow when rotating multiple images by selecting them in the thumbnail mode.

I can confirm that the problem is not fixed (I upgraded to the version that was supposed to fix it, but I'll need to check the exact number when I get home). I selected 442 large photos to rotate 90 degrees to the left, and when the rotation had finished only 430 were selected and some had not been rotated. The order of the photos had changed. All this in thumbnail view.

Using 12.21 build 7478

I don't know anything about this, but did you consider trying 12.21.2?

Is there any reason to suppose that installing a beta would fix it?

I have no idea, but if it were me, I'd try it and find out just in case.

I read the revision notes. There's nothing to suggest it's been fixed. I don't install random betas if there's no reason to think they fix the problem I want fixed.

What kind of folder are you in when you still see the problem with the current version?

Local drive, or network drive?

Are any libraries, junctions, collections, or similar involved?

We have some changes coming in the next beta which we think will fix these issues. I was able to reproduce them with the old code, and no longer can after the new changes.

2 Likes

A local drive. No libraries, junctions or collections.

A new beta is out which we hope fixes this issue. Please give it a try: Directory Opus 12.21.3 (Beta)

Has anyone had a chance to test the changes in the new beta? Is the issue now fixed for you, or are you still seeing problems?

A week and no feedback at all on the change. We think the issue is fixed now but it looks like no one actually cares anymore, so we're closing it.

1 Like

Leo,
The issues relating Rotating JPEGs issue are fixed in the 12.21.3 (Beta).
I retested the scenarios I documented in my initial post.
Thank you for making sure this was repaired in a timely manner!
Now if only Micro$#!+ could produce software with the same quality as GPSoftware, then I would have far fewer headaches!!!

Again, Thanks for a wonderful, functional and very useful product!

2 Likes

Apologies, I was away on holiday when these posts appeared and didn't notice. I'll test the latest beta to see if it's fixed.

I've just tested 12.21.6 on all my holiday photos, and all images were rotated, none deselected, and ordering was preserved. Definitely fixed.

2 Likes