Running command from context menu opens window in the background

Hi all,

I created a context menu command for the "images" file group. Here's the command:

When I use the context menu item on an image, it opens SnagIt editor as it should but immediately puts the Opus window to the foreground. Is there a way to make SnagIt stay in the foreground?

Thanks,
W@ng

It might be a setting in SnagIt that makes it hop into the background. I'd check there first.

No, it works when I'm creating a context menu item directly in the registry i.e. for the .jpg extension.

It also works when changing the function method from "Standard function" to "MS-DOS Batch function". But then a CMD window pops up before SnagIt is triggered.

That's quite odd. Does it matter if Snagit is already running (e.g. in the background)?

What happens on your system if you try the same with other programs, e.g. Notepad?

Yes, it makes a difference. If SnagIt is closed, it opens and stays in the foreground. If SnagIt is open (either minimized or open in the background) it hides behind Opus after the image is loaded.

Notepad++ does not show this behaviour. I created a context menu to open image files in Notepad++ (does not make sense, just for testing). NP++ always stays in the foreground when the file is opened.

SnagIt also stays is the foreground when either switching function type to "batch" in Opus or if using the registry directly to add context menu like in the example below.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.jpg\Shell\Open with SnagIT Editor]
"icon"="\"C:\\Program Files\\TechSmith\\Snagit 2019\\SnagitEditor.exe\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.jpg\Shell\Open with SnagIT Editor\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\TechSmith\\Snagit 2019\\SnagitEditor.exe\" \"%1\""

This really sounds like a question for TechSmith.

Probably. However, it's not this important since I can use the workaround with system file associations.

Thanks anyway.