SearchEverything: Getting Opus to work with Everything

Wow, works perfectly! (Opus 10.0.2.0)
I've been using Everything for years and this is a great new way to use it. :thumbsup:
Thank you very much.

There´s something, i don´t understand: why are there two versions, 1.2.1.451 & 2.2? Yes, one looks like a command line tool,
but it´s irritating. Also, i rarely use it, because it has no auto start. I have to type the admin password every time i want to
use it, & it takes a minute or so to update the database. Please make a new version, that can run as a service, without need
to type a password.

Why don't you just use the indexed search that's built into Windows? To me it seems like having to OK a UAC prompt every time you want to do a search would be more trouble than it's worth.

Yeah, that´s how i´m actually searchin most of the time. I thought, Everything has an advantage in some cases,
but i might be wrong.

[quote]There´s something, i don´t understand: why are there two versions, 1.2.1.451 & 2.2? Yes, one looks like a command line tool,
but it´s irritating. Also, i rarely use it, because it has no auto start.[/quote]

Hey abr,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but here's how it works for me.

1. You install Everything normally, from the official website. There is an autostart. That's the 1.x version. It contains ES.exe and Everything.exe (which is the original GUI).
  2. You download the rar file from this post (apocalypse). It contains one new file: SearchEverything.exe. I believe that's the one he calls 2.2, his C program that does the interface between the Everything database and Opus. This is the file that is called by the button.
  3. You never need to touch ES, the command tool. It probably just needs to be there for SearchEverything AND Everything to do their job.

As for the UAC, I have it turned off, so that's a matter of choice---I know the Opus manual is in favor of UAC with temporary elevation.

I am using Everything version 1.2.1.451.
I can't get it to work.
I get "Everything is not started or has a different name."
But Everything is started, and has the name Everything.exe.

Does your idea work with Everything version 1.2.1.451?

It does work with .451. If everything is started and you can access it but SE can't then that means both processes are started with different credentials and so they cannot communicate with each other.
SE inherits the dopus permissions if you start it from the toolbar. It in itself is a frontend for es.exe which is written by the author of everything and that one does the communication.
To test if es.exe is working properly Start Menu > cmd > enter > type in es.exe "something"and see if you get results in the console window.
If you don't get any do the following: Start Menu > cmd > ctrl+shift+enter > type in es.exe "something"

If you are using windows 8 there have been changes under the hood to the admin token granted to applications and you get medium integrity token (normal user) instead of high integrity (full admin rights) even if your UAC is set to the lowest do not notify setting unless the program explicitly requests elevation. Since everything always runs in high integrity (you should get a prompt if you have uac) we get separation of processes. You can experiment by removing @admin from the button (no matter how counter-intuitive this might sound) and see if it helps.

Thank you for you assistance.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

Start Menu > cmd > enter > type in es.exe "something"
Result: Everything IPC window not found, IPC unavailable.

Start Menu > cmd > ctrl+shift+enter > type in es.exe "something"
Result: Everything IPC window not found, IPC unavailable.

Then I ran Everything as administrator and success!

Glad you sorted it out. B)
The funny thing is Everything wouldn't even run for me unless I started it as admin. It will always require elevated privileges for it to be able to read the USN journal of the NTFS filesystem, otherwise it cannot track changes, updating on the fly and becomes the same as locate32 (i have a wip implementation for that as well for when I need to search network shares) which requires manual database updating.
We will see how it goes with win8. I hope silent elevation using @admin won't be a problem if UAC slider is at the bottom, otherwise it's return of the UAC popups... the horror

[quote="apocalypse"]
A good idea is to make a wildcard coloring rule that matches the network path (B:* in this case) so all the results that come from there are clearly distinguished from the ones that came from everything.[/quote]

A little help with this! I can't quite figure out how to do this. If I setup a wildcard as you suggest B:* then it only gets applied when I go the B: drive. It does not get used to color the resulting subset of coll:/Everything that has a location of B:*. And of course if I setup a color at the coll:\Everything then everything in the result set gets colored.

Works fine for me:[ul]
[li] Preferences > File and folder labels[/li]
[li] Add > Create new wildcard label assignment[/li]
[li] Wildcard: G:* , Files & Folders, Regex disabled in this case[/li][/ul]
Alternatively you could use label filter in dopus 10.1.0+:[ul]
[li] Add > Create new label filter[/li]
[li] Full path - match - use wildcards - G:*[/li][/ul]
Not sure if the second one is slower in general. I mainly use it for rating and keyword tag coloring. Good luck in getting it to work.

[quote="apocalypse"]Works fine for me:[ul]
[li] Add > Create new wildcard label assignment[/li]
[li] Wildcard: G:* , Files & Folders, Regex disabled in this case[/li][/ul]
[/quote]

I get this first one. It works but it also colors the entire drive if you aren't searching. I guess I could turn it off/on in the Search Everything code. It would be cool to be able to set it up somehow based on being a network drive rather than having to specify each network drive individually as I have several. There must be a way to ID network drives because there's a folder format for network drives. Just not sure how one would setup a wildcard path even at the server level because your using the network connections that were assigned drive letters as opposed to a network neighborhood type of search. The other problem here is that if you have any files already setup with a label assigning a color then the "search color" is ignored.

[quote="apocalypse"]
Alternatively you could use label filter in dopus 10.1.0+:[ul]
[li] Add > Create new label filter[/li]
[li] Full path - match - use wildcards - G:*[/li][/ul]
Not sure if the second one is slower in general. I mainly use it for rating and keyword tag coloring. Good luck in getting it to work.[/quote]

I'm not understanding what exactly you're setting up in this one. From your info you're in the same preference section as the first one. But I don't know where you see this "Create new label filter". If your talking the upper section where the colors are setup I've only got a choice of Add or Delete and no option of a wildcard. If you're seeing something else in the lower section (Labelled Files and Folders) I don't know how to access it??? I've only got 3 options Assign Label to Folder, Assign Label to File and Create new wildcard label assignment which is the one used in the first example.

1. Coloring of the entire drive is to be expected since you gave it a wildcard. We have yet to see Collection-only labeling so either get used to the colors or toggle them when you need them.
  2. It's a feature in the latest dopus beta. Does the same thing as the above one.

OK, glad to know I'm not nuts.

Thanks for your help.

I have 3 network drives X Y Z is there any way to search all of them.

Amazing stuff, thanks.

Is it possible to assign a system wide hot key?

Take a look at this post.
Alter your find command to include all your paths.

[quote="Dopus User Manual"]Specify the folder or folders to search in when automating a search. Remember that if the paths contain a space you must enclose the value in quotes.
Example: Find *.txt IN "C:\Folder 1" "C:\Folder 2"[/quote]
In your case: Find COLLNAME=Everything NAME="{$search}" IN X:\ Y:\ Z:\ ...
Note that network paths cannot be indexed by everything and you are using normal search for them. The results are merged with the local results.

In dopus Just go to Customize > Keys > Add
Command
@admin
"path.to.SearchEverything.exe" "{dlgstring}"
Check system-wide
Choose key combination

You only have to bring the window to front yourself:
Adding dopus.exe coll://Everything to the command above shows the result in a new default lister.
At this time I am not aware of a proper way to just bring the last lister to front from within dopus and I'd rather not add unmanaged code to ES to wait for and bring the result window to front itself.

it's a cool program, but can't get back results in russian! someone can help?

Hi there fkast.
I've tested SE with all types of language strings including cyrillic (russian, bulgarian), hebrew, cjk(chinese, japanese, korean) even and always get results. I am quite annoyed by programs lacking proper unicode support myself so I would have mentioned it explicitly if it was not working here.

Please check if you can get results by running the standalone es.exe.
To do so: using dopus navigate to the Everything folder.
Dopus menu > Tools > Command Prompt Here (Admin)
type: es "your search that yields no results"
(from a filename you know is indexed and appears in the everything program itself when searched for)
If you get results let me know and we will dig deeper after that.
You could provide some filename examples that do not appear in your results as well.

es.exe works fine! but using SearchEverything.exe is not so well... there's a result, search were for "кунут"