SearchEverything: Getting Opus to work with Everything

Indeed there seems to be an encoding issue. OK then next step.

Delete the contents of your temporary folder ( %TEMP% ) (or use a tool like CCleaner or something)
Make the same search for "кунут" using SearchEverything.
Go to your %TEMP% folder and find a file whose name looks like this 26eb7e38-d01c-4ae0-97e4-ddb2f721f309 (name is random)
Attach the file here or send it to es at devocalypse.com.

Also do an es.exe кунут > C:\directOutput.txt and send the C:\directOutput.txt as well so we can narrow it down.

that's it

directOutput.txt (114 Bytes)
b11452c5-13ae-475e-8349-1befccffad8d.txt (230 Bytes)

the encoding of this files is "OEM 866", but we use "Win1251"

Interesting. It seems either es.exe or your command prompt is corrupting the encoding.
I created a sample folder to mimic your setup.

Results in:
output.txt (128 Bytes)
My Output encoding is ANSI.
My Console is using codepage 932 (ANSI/OEM - Japanese Shift-JIS) - the system locale
SE adds it properly:

That ? (question mark) at the beginning of the 3rd result makes me wonder.
Question marks are invalid filename characters so either your current codepage does not contain that glyph and outputs a ? instead of an actual letter or you have some garbage character in that filename.

The last thing I need from you is to create a UNICODE text file and within dopus go to the actual locations of those files and do Edit > Copy full path names and then paste them in the text file and attach them in a post again.

Meanwhile I will install a russian language pack on a Win7 VM, set it to Russian locale and make some tests there to see if I get the same result.

On and one last thing just to make sure. Your sig says you are using 7600 W7x64. Do you have Service Pack 1 installed (that makes it 7601).

EDIT: I managed to reproduce the bug. Will add some internal codepage conversion code and post an update.

1st. Yes, i have some garbage character in that filename (see attach)
2nd. Yes, i have Service Pack 1 installed
3rd. In .txt file there is a results in UniCode
new 2.txt (154 Bytes)

And here's a new version 2.5.0 with codepage conversion built in.
It worked in the VM. Do let me know if it works for you.
I've also added an app manifest to enforce RunAsAdmin so people do not get confused over that.

Finally I'm interested if the weird glyph in your screenshot will be properly converted.

I will add this version to the main post once I get confirmation that it is working properly.

sorry, that's the result...

New SearchEverything 3.0.0 rewritten from scratch
(only tray tips remain from old version).

Here are the highlights:
[ul]
[li]Completely rewritten to utilize included Everything.dll enabling direct communication with Everything.exe via IPC[/li]
[li]es.exe is no longer needed[/li]
[li]Instant retrieving of results (although it takes a while for dopus to initialize the collection).[/li]
[li]No more codepage conversions. All (as opposed to everything) is now done in unicode via IPC.[/li][/ul]Funny enough even IPC cannot handle this: :point_up:.
Unfortunately I can't do anything about that without Everything's source code which is not publicly available and its author has not been seen for a while.
You could use something simpler to mark your files like these ★:spades::diamonds::heart::clubs:▲▼

All that's left is to visit the first page and get 3.0.0.

Thanx a lot! All works fine!)))

Well done... Thanks!

I'd like to thank the dopus forum user Dick Pape for notifying me that David Carpenter aka void (the author of everything) is back at voidtools.com.
He also released some new beta versions of Everything 1.3.x with exciting new features which include:

[ul][li]Non-administrator mode - does not require admin privileges. Uses indexing instead of NTFS journal which is slower but still usable if needed.[/li]
[li]Non-NTFS drives are now supported - uses the above mentioned indexing on local drives that are not NTFS formatted.[/li]
[li]Network folders - uses indexing on them. Changes from local machine are Watched. Remote changes are not and require Updating. Automatic Update interval is configurable on a per-entry basis.[/li]
[li]File lists - static lists of files that do not change and don't need to be updated. Useful as a media catalog for CDs, DVDs, BDs etc.[/li][/ul]I've tested the current 1.3.0.632b version of Everything and it seems to work with the current version of SE without problems.
Note that at the time being ETP & HTTP functionality is missing for those who need them. David says he plans to add them later.

You can visit the everything forums to discuss everything-related issues.
Also be sure to support the author by donating, or at least drop by and say thanks to show him his work is appreciated.

On a side note:[ul][li]I plan on writing a one-click EFU (Everything File Catalog) generator for dopus (if that makes any sense). I imagine it would be useful to export a flat-view structure as a mini-catalog of sorts.[/li][li]I'm also writing a personal use tool to export catalogs from FileOrganizer to EFU (Everything File Catalogs). Depending on everything's performance with my ~2000 dvd catalogs, if they can be properly searched, and if there is any interest I might release it to the public as well.[/li][/ul]

Hi

I am running Win 7 64

I have followed the instructions and added the following button code

<?xml version="1.0"?> Everything #default:find Everything (Dialog) Search Everything for Specified Keyword(s) #default:find @admin C:\Program Files(x86)\Everything\Everything.exe "{dlgstring}" Everything (Clipboard) Search Everything for Current Clipboard Text #default:find @admin C:\Program Files(x86)\Everything\Everything.exe "{clip}" Everything (Program) Starts / Brings Everything to Front #find cd C:\Program Files(x86)\Everything C:\Program Files(x86)\Everything\Everything.exe

However, when I right click on the button and enter a search word I receive the following message

"Windows cannot find " C:\Program Files(x86)\Everything\Everything.exe'' Make sure you typed th name correctly and try again"

What am I doing wrong ?

There should be quotes around C:\Program Files(x86)\Everything\Everything.exe and similar paths with spaces in them.

If it still doesn't work, is that path where you actually have Everything.exe installed?

I am running Win 7 x64 and DOpus x64 10.5.2.0.
Now Everything has x64 build. SearchEverything v3.0.0.0 cannot work with it (Everything v1.3.3.658 x64).

voidtools.com/Changes.txt

You probably just need to change the path in the command from Program Files(x86) to Program Files.

I changed the path in the command to Program Files.
When clicking the button and inputting the character string, the process "SearchEverything *32" is running, but then it seems nothing happen.

Version 1.3.3.658 (x64) is working fine for me without any changes to SE (in a x64. dopus).
Once again make sure you have @admin on a line before the command to SE inside your dopus button just in case (although a manifest is included in the ES executable to request elevation explicitly).
If you still get no results try running SE from the command-line to see if it helps so we can narrow the possibilities. Meanwhile when I have some free time I will prepare a verbose debug build for further troubleshooting.

I am sure having @admin on a line before the command to SE, but still get no results.
Then I try running SE from cmd line (SearchEverything test), but still no results.

Created a button whilst using the below xml file.
Only part I changed is the path names.

after clicking the "Everything"button and entering a search string (e.g. gpsoft), results are shown:
a) all files, i.e. not based on my search string
b) an error shows up: "Unable to open file list"

(Win7 x64 / Everything v.1.3.3658 (x64) (admittedly, still beta)

Any suggestions?

=