SearchEverything: Getting Opus to work with Everything

isn't it possible to just add an argument to the dopus search field? it's not very comfortable that i can't use a "personal" search field or just have an implimentation of searcheverything in dopus.

the button from the start post works by the way with latest (11) dopus

Have just installed Windows 10 Tech Preview
Opus 11.12
When I run Searcheverything from button I get UAC then nothing
Button code
@admin
C:\Program Files\Everything\SearchEverything.exe "{dlgstring}"
Same happens from command prompt

Everything program works OK
Has anyone else used it in windows 10

Yes. Same experience as you describe. I am unable to get SearchEverything to work in any Windows 64-bit system be it W7, W8.1, or W10.

Regards, AB

Follow up. I managed to get SearchEverything working with Opus 11.12.2 on a 32-bit XP system in a VM. I had to download and install DotNet Framework 2 (NetFx20SP2_x86.exe). My guess is that it depends on this particular version of DotNet. When time permits I'll try to test that theory on a 64-bit W7 system.

Regards, AB

My Desktop and laptop both run Win 7 64Bit and search everything works OK
To find .NET Framework versions by viewing the registry (.NET Framework 1-4)
1.On the Start menu, choose Run.
2.In the Open box, enter regedit.exe.
You must have administrative credentials to run regedit.exe.
3.In the Registry Editor, open the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP

To find .NET Framework versions by viewing the registry (.NET Framework 4.5 and later)
1.On the Start menu, choose Run.
2.In the Open box, enter regedit.exe.
You must have administrative credentials to run regedit.exe.
3.In the Registry Editor, open the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full

Laptop and Desktop Win 7 64 Bit
4.5.51209 Laptop
4.5.50938 Desktop

Laptop Win 10 64 Bit

@onedot3 - thanks for posting. It is encouraging to know that someone, somewhere, has this working on W7. My laptop DotNet settings are to all intents and purposes the same as yours so that is unlikely to be the cause of my problem. In the absence of any SearchEverything error message or log (that I am aware of) it's hard to know where to start looking.

Regards, AB

This thread is getting so long I sometimes consider setting up a dedicated sub-forum for Everything. :slight_smile: (Does it not have one of its own?)

Carry on, I'm not complaining. Just wondering if it needs more than one big thread, or if it should stay as-is

Everything.exe version 1.3.4.686 (x64)
Have been messing around on Win 10 and found that I had not been running Everything.exe as administrator.
Run Everything.exe as administrator.
Searcheverything now works in Win 10 :smiley:
Had a check on Win 7 Desktop and Laptop Everything.exe version 1.2.1.371 is not Run as administrator.

Good grief. My W7 experience seems to be the reverse of yours. I did not have "run as administrator" enabled on W7 on the basis that I am using the Everything Service. Prompted by your post, I turned the option on and now SE is working.

Regards, AB

Cheers, AB, setting the option to "Run as administrator" fixed me up.

My first test wasn't very positive, though. I ran a query ("hi") that happened to return 21730 results--it caused my disk to churn for half a minute before the results appeared. I then ran another test (".exe"). Results starting appearing after about 15 seconds, but only in chunks every few seconds. After a couple minutes, it's only returned about half of the intended results. I think this might be because of unwanted interference with Windows Defender Antimalware (MsMpEng.exe), since it's using a lot of CPU and Disk as I type this.

I'm not sure what the SearchEverything shim is doing I/O-wise, but the same queries are instantaneous (as I type them in real time) in the everything.exe console. I'll try some more things but at the moment it looks like I'll have to stick with the everything.exe interface...

I tend to use it for more specific queries with (much) fewer results. In my case, results are pretty much instantaneous.

Regards, AB

FWIW only...

In Everything->Options->Context Menu->Open Path (and Explore) I have

$exec("F:\Directory Opus\DOpusrt.exe" /acmd Go NEWTAB=tofront PATH "%1")

in the command box.

=

FWIW, $exec("C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\dopusrt.exe" /acmd Go NEWTAB=tofront PATH "%1") does not work on my system. win7 32, opus 9, everything 1.3.4.686 (x86) . the path to dopus is correct.

Opus 9 is probably why. Some of those parameters may have been added in the last 4-5 years.

okok, two more months until win 10 + Dopus 11 :slight_smile:

No need to wait for the latter.... :smiley:

Regards, AB

me54899 Please do note that Opus 9 was superseded in 2008 is not supported on OS's after Windows XP. Definitely not supported for Windows 7 and above. Time to upgrade I suggest.:slight_smile:

[OT] never change a running system; I have never had any issues in win 7 32 whatsoever, with latest Opus 9, 9.5.6. Its release date is 12.10.2010. I highly doubt it supports only XP. :slight_smile: Imho, it clearly supports Vista and 7. Perhaps you confuse it with Opus 8.

[OT] (Reason I am waiting for Win 10/new laptop, in relation to upgrading DOpus, is configuration. I don't want to concern myself with and configure DOpus 11, and then revisit things again on the win 10 machine just 2 months later (different screen resolution, screen size, I'd basically want to re-check many settings etc. on a new machine. Configuring DOpus is time-consuming.)