Seek recommendation for directory compare utility

Currently I use Directory Toolkit from Funduc which does a great job as a standalone folder compare utility. As a new DirOpus user I'm interested to bring that function inside Opus itself.

Have you tried the Synchronize feature in Opus?

I looked for the icon/tool referenced in the 'Introducing' document...saw the reference to WinMerge and figured it was a third party control situation.

What nudel meant was the internal synchronize panel in Opus. You can find it by running the default menu command of

TOOLS/SYNCHRONIZE

The synchronize panel is very powerful, not only will it compare two directories or even the entire directory trees, it can also synchronize them. Which means copying and/or deleting files from each. So I would strongly suggest you become familiar with how the synchronize panel works by using it on a couple unimportant test directories first.

I used to use ExamDiff Pro to compare directories but now I only use the Opus Synchronize panel to do it.

I use both the internal sync tool and WinMerge for comparing directories, depending on what I'm doing. Sync tool when I want to copy files; WinMerge when I want to see what has changed and the files are text-files.

WinMerge is free, by the way.

Ah yes, free is compelling... but Araxis Merge RULES!!!

Take a look at "Beyond Compare": http://www.scootersoftware.com/

This tool is AWESOME!!!

Take a look at "Beyond Compare": http://www.scootersoftware.com/

This tool is AWESOME!!!

Even when I was doing a lot of code merging at work I couldn't quite bring myself to spend US$130 on a diffing tool! And that's not even the "professional" version which is even more... I'd sure hope it is worth the money. :slight_smile:

If you have MS Word, you have a free compare utility.

In Command Prompt:

C:> Drive: C:> CD Drive:\Path\Folder1 C:> Dir /S > C:\Folder1-List.txt C:> CD /D Drive:\Path\Folder2 C:> Dir /S > C:\Folder2-List.txt

In Word Open C:\Folder2-List.txt

Use Compare Documents and Track Changes with C:\Folder1-List.txt

MS Word will kindly highlight all differences between the two documents. I've used it for years. There is even a Word toolbar that has a button to go to the next or difference change.

However DOpus Synchronize does the job better.

SYNCHRONIZE is complicated

norton commander's Compare>Directories , Compare>Files seem to offer a good balance betn power and ease of use

is it possible to duplicate this functionality

Could you explain what those do for those of us who haven't used Norton Commander for 15-20 years?

Could you explain what those do for those of us who haven't used Norton Commander for 15-20 years?[/quote]

I think he actually means the "Synchronize Dirs" function in Total Commander (see first screenshot). I for one am quite happy with Opus' Synchronize.

However, there is a highly useful quick diff tool built into TC, called "Compare by Content", that I miss. I attached a screenshot of that, too. It'd be great to have a single-button feature in Opus that could similarly compare the selected files in source and destination folders. Or is it already there and it's just me being ignorant?

It's easy to make Opus launch WinMerge or a similar diffing tool on a pair of files or a pair of directories:

pretentiousname.com/opus/cb2.html#b_diffing

[quote="nudel"]It's easy to make Opus launch WinMerge or a similar diffing tool on a pair of files or a pair of directories:

pretentiousname.com/opus/cb2.html#b_diffing[/quote]

Thank you so much, nudel. I actually forgot about this part of your tutorial, and WinMerge indeed looks like a far superior option.

:slight_smile:

Hi Leo,
how can i add this winmerge button in Opus? I only see the code of the actions on that page you have linked.
Thanks,
Manuel

thanks, works perfectly!