Select files with same name but with different extensions

Have a look at the Select SIMILARBASE command.

It seems related but does not seem to be what I want

[quote]Select SIMILARBASE
Selects all files with the same base-names as the currently selected files. For example, if cat.jpg and dog.gif are currently selected, this command would select all&nbap;cat.* and dog.* files in the source file display.[/quote]
This does not seem to pick up multiple base names, they already have to be selected. Even then, it basically selects all files with either of the two extensions.
..unless my button needs something other than "Select SIMILARBASE" in it?

I take it you want to start with nothing selected and end up with all files selected that have more than one matching file name sans extension?

If so that sounds like it will take a script to do that. Too late for me to tackle it tonight but maybe tomorrow I'll give it a go.

Thats correct John. (Although I can have one OR no files selected - its pretty easy to "deselect" first if I need to - I have tried the above tips both ways).
If you do get time i would appreciate it.

If you're only looking for duplicates in two different extensions, you could do that by:

Select *.mobi DeselectNoMatch
Select SimilarBase
Select *.mobi Deselect
Select SimilarBase

(Untested so may need tweaking.)

That trick won't extend to more than two extensions though, unless you know one of the dupes will always be a particular extension.

I played around with this but I cant make it work. My reading of the help file suggests only the first two lines should be required for this task:

Select SimilarBase

However, this does select *.mobi files, but does NOT select all the files with the similar base as those selected, so the result of the second line is the same as the first. Makes no sense to me, unless the second line fails because some of the files selected do not have any other similarbase counterparts (that would make no sense for the command). When the third and fourth lines are added, everything is simply deselected. I am puzzled why the first two commands are not sufficient (as you said, needs tweaking, but I am no expert at that).

You definitely need all four lines, otherwise you'll end up with all .mobi files still selected whether or not they have a corresponding .epub file.

The command I suggested seems to work fine for me. Here is the result of running it on some test filenames I made up:

Thanks Leo (as always!). Hey now, this is strange! I tried your dummy files idea and the button works as you say. But on my real files it does not. So I made a folder with a smaller number of files and it works again on my real files. Add a few more files into that folder, not working. Take a few files out of that folder, and it works again.
I cannot seem to correlate this with the file name length or odd characters (like "[" etc), but the total number of files in a folder (or their total path length perhaps??).
Is this a bug, or am i still doing something wrong?

example: It works with this set of files:
Books About Apples.epub
books about apples.mobi
books about bananas.mobi
books about cows.mobi
books about moos.mobi
books about pears.epub
books about pears.mobi
Chris Mullin - [Decline and Fall - Diaries 2005] - 2010.mobi
Chris Roberts - [Lost English] - Words and Phrases That Have Vanished From Our Language.mobi
Clarissa Yip - Bachelor's Return.epub
Clarissa Yip - Bachelor's Return.mobi
Clive Cussler - [Numa Files 10] - The Storm - Graham Brown.mobi
Colleen Gleason - [Medieval Herb Garden 01] - Lavender Vows.epub
Constance O'Banyon - The Moon and the Stars.epub
David A. Adler - [Cam Jansen 03] - Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones.epub
David A. Adler - [Cam Jansen 14] - Cam Jansen and the Chocolate Fudge Mystery.epub
David Almond - Secret Heart.epub
David Wiltse - [John Becker 01] - Prayer for the Dead.epub
David Wiltse - [John Becker 03] - The Edge of Sleep.epub
Dawn Rae Miller - [The Sensitives 00.5] - Before.epub
Dawn Rae Miller - [The Sensitives 00.5] - Before.mobi
Dawn Rae Miller - [The Sensitives 01] - Larkstorm.epub
Dorothy Garlock - [Wyoming Frontier 06] - Sweetwater.epub
Douglas Brinkley - Cronkite.epub

BUT when the number of files is increased by 7 (added at the end) it stops working:
Books About Apples.epub
books about apples.mobi
books about bananas.mobi
books about cows.mobi
books about moos.mobi
books about pears.epub
books about pears.mobi
Chris Mullin - [Decline and Fall - Diaries 2005] - 2010.mobi
Chris Roberts - [Lost English] - Words and Phrases That Have Vanished From Our Language.mobi
Clarissa Yip - Bachelor's Return.epub
Clarissa Yip - Bachelor's Return.mobi
Clive Cussler - [Numa Files 10] - The Storm - Graham Brown.mobi
Colleen Gleason - [Medieval Herb Garden 01] - Lavender Vows.epub
Constance O'Banyon - The Moon and the Stars.epub
David A. Adler - [Cam Jansen 03] - Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones.epub
David A. Adler - [Cam Jansen 14] - Cam Jansen and the Chocolate Fudge Mystery.epub
David Almond - Secret Heart.epub
David Wiltse - [John Becker 01] - Prayer for the Dead.epub
David Wiltse - [John Becker 03] - The Edge of Sleep.epub
Dawn Rae Miller - [The Sensitives 00.5] - Before.epub
Dawn Rae Miller - [The Sensitives 00.5] - Before.mobi
Dawn Rae Miller - [The Sensitives 01] - Larkstorm.epub
Dorothy Garlock - [Wyoming Frontier 06] - Sweetwater.epub
Douglas Brinkley - Cronkite.epub
Dylan Hicks - Boarded Windows.epub
Edmund White - Jack Holmes and His Friend.epub
Edmund White - Jack Holmes and His Friend.mobi
Edward Klein - The Amateur- Barack Obama in the White House.epub
Edward Klein - The Amateur- Barack Obama in the White House.mobi
Elaine Coffman - [Mackinnon - Douglas 03] - Lord of the Black Isle.epub
Elaine Coffman - [Mackinnon - Douglas 03] - Lord of the Black Isle.mobi

Confirmed. Looks like we are hitting an internal limit due to the way Select SIMILARBASE is implemented. I'll look at fixing that. (If you link your account I should be able to look at it sooner.)

Thanks Leo. I never thought to link before as its always been me, not DOPUS, at fault. I have linked my account now..

Thanks!

This should be fixed in the next update.

Thanks Leo. Pretty hard to get work done without this program! Love the Dopus...

[quote="leo"]If you're only looking for duplicates in two different extensions, you could do that by:
Select SimilarBase
Select *.mobi Deselect
Select SimilarBase
That trick won't extend to more than two extensions though, unless you know one of the dupes will always be a particular extension.[/quote]

I just upgraded to the new release v10.1.0.0
This button works now with the upgrade. Very pleased I am, thank you all!

I believe there is a fault in the implementation of this feature. On 10-20 occasions now this button crashes dopus, and it forces a restart of the program. The issue is only with folders with large numbers of files: eg today I tried a folder of 1048 files in it - crashed. I split the same files into two separate folders with about 500 each and it ran fine in the separate folders. This suggests some kind of limit on the number of files the function can process. It also crashed with when i just remove files from the bottom, leaving 999 files, 898 files, 798, and 697, but was ok at 600 files. The other directory where I moved the files worked at all times. This suggests to me its a file limit or memory limit, not a quirk of the filenames themselves.
I am using Vista, and an aging x86 machine. I am still on release v10.1.0.0 and will upgrade shortly.

Please check with the latest version.

If the problem is still there create a text file listing all the filenames (Edit->Copy File Names, then Ctrl-V into an Opus lister to paste that into a new txt file), zip that up and sent it to us via an attachment so we can try the same thing.

The problem is the same this morning after the latest software upgrade. I emailed the requested file as an rar archive to info@gpsoft.com.au
Let me know if you intended a different address.

Thanks for sending the requested information, we will have a fix for this in the next update.

This is fixed in the new beta.

Thanks Jon! I am traveling in India for work right now and will check it out as soon as I get home. I appreciate your on-going efforts.

I just tested the beta on a folder with about 2000 files. It works fine now. Thanks a lot.