Separate "favourites" per lister in DUAL

Hi all,

I am a long time supporter of Opus but have not used it in some time now. Seeing the new 8 has made me revist it all again.

My request is going to sound trivial compared with the capabilities of the software, but it is something I am used to. I currently use Servant Salamander, another excellent file manager.

Now, it is a dual pane manager, and in each pane it has a toolbar. On that toolbar is (among other things) a favourites button which drops down the list of favourites.

Ok, still reading? The big difference though, is that regardless of which pane is "active", the favourite selected will appear in the pane that the toolbar is in. Left pane favourites open in the left pane, right pane favourites open in the right pane. Both lists of favourites are identical by the way, they are just there twice, once for each pane.

Can Opus do this with a command button somehow? With Opus, the favourites open in whatever is the active pane (in a DUAL lister) so I need to ensure the correct pane is active before selecting my favourite. If we could have two favourites buttons, one for left pane and one for right pane, then I believe life in Opus land would be perfect. Perhaps even another raw command for the favourites, "Open In Left" and "Open In Right". ???

I have explained all that really badly. Thanks to everyone who helps out on these forums and thanks Greg for another excellent release.

John

umm, did you actually TRY the openinleft/right args???
They do work you know.

I just made a triple button that is..

LMB = go /favourites openinleft
RMB = go /favourites openinright

Works fine.

:sunglasses:

Oh, I forgot to ask, why does "a long time supporter" of Opus use SS??

It is kinda like using a piece of flint instead of a Dunhill Lighter :smiley:

[quote]LMB = go /favorites openinleft
RMB = go /favorites openinright[/quote]That displays the Explorer/IE favorites inside the left or right pane.

I get the impression John wants the Opus favorites, and he wants them listed in a menu rather than inside the actual listers.

The Favorites (rather than Go) command does this, but it doesn't currently provide a way to make the items always open in the right or left pane; rather, they open in the currently active pane. There is the OPENINDUAL argument, but this causes them to open in the inactive pane, which isn't quite what John's after.

In summary, the Favorites command could do with OPENINLEFT and OPENINRIGHT arguments like the Go command has.

[quote]
nudel wrote:

I get the impression John wants the Opus favorites, and he wants them listed in a menu rather than inside the actual listers.

That displays the Explorer/IE favorites inside the left or right pane.[/quote]

I did not get that impression, and I assumed that a lister was as good as a menu in this case. Knowing my track record with guessing users' wants, you will be right :slight_smile:

[quote]
biggus wrote:
Oh, I forgot to ask, why does "a long time supporter" of Opus use SS??

It is kinda like using a piece of flint instead of a Dunhill Lighter :smiley:[/quote]

he he, yeah, and I'm trying to quit...

[quote]
nudel wrote:

[quote]LMB = go /favorites openinleft
RMB = go /favorites openinright[/quote]That displays the Explorer/IE favorites inside the left or right pane.

The Favorites (rather than Go) command does this, but it doesn't currently provide a way to make the items always open in the right or left pane; rather, they open in the currently active pane. There is the OPENINDUAL argument, but this causes them to open in the inactive pane, which isn't quite what John's after.

In summary, the Favorites command could do with OPENINLEFT and OPENINRIGHT arguments like the Go command has.[/quote]

YES! That is exactly what I was trying to say (now why couldn't I phrase it like that). Sorry for confusing the life out of everyone.

If this could be implemented I would be eternally grateful...

thanks all :slight_smile:

What I did was add a favs menu to the lister context menu by copying the favs menu from the main menu bar into the lister menu.

As you right-click in a lister to bring up the menu the lister becomes active, and you can select from the favs submenus to go to that folder.

Hi,

Well I set that up and have been giving it a go for the past 30 minutes or so. I like it.

It achieves the desired effect, in fact, may even be better than a button because you can click the mouse anywhere, not just on one spot.

Thankyou kind sir (and everyone else who helped too).

John

I also am really keen on this feature but the workaround is not for me.
I have a bunch of Favs and I just want to click one button that makes that fav open in one particular pane. No preselecting the pane. No hunting through favs for the right one.
Have been using FileProbe for years, in which each toolbar can choose whether it opens in a particular pane or the active pane. Thats the fature that John was asking for and its the one I really want also.

No one hasn't written anything here for a while, and I'm really passionate about getting this feature, so I'm raising it again. :slight_smile:

Newbie here. I'm evaluating Opus for purchase. Been using ExplorerPlus for years and am happy with it. However, I'm impressed enough with 8.1 to buy it if it will do one thing — switch between two HDs with a keyboard shortcut.

In ExplorerPlus, I can press CTRL+W and toggle between my C and D drives. But Opus does not seem to have this simple ability, dropping tabs and views whenever a lister is changed when adding tabs and using CTRL+Arrow keys. If I can do this one thing, I'll buy it and be very happy. Otherwise, I'll wait until the feature is overtly implemented before reconsidering. Thanks.

This should probably have a separate topic of its own, and if you really want it you should make a feature request on the official GPSoft site,

You can make hotkeys which jump directly to a given path but there's currently no way to cycle through different ones.

If I'm not too tired tonight I'll write a little program which can add this to Opus, without requiring an Opus update. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the quick reply! I did send a feature request to them, but as I said, I'll wait until it's implemented before dropping almost $70 to register it.

Well, if you download and install the SETX resource kit utility from microsoft, then you could use it to store a variable for the path you want to 'flip' ala:

Bind CTRL-W to the following sort of commands:[b]runmode hide Go %mygo% mygo.bat[/b]Then create a 'mygo.bat' script someplace in your system path and write it up like so:[b]if /I "%mygo%" == "" setx mygo D: if /I "%mygo%" == "C:" ( setx mygo D: ) else ( setx mygo C:)[/b]As long as you put both the SETX.EXE and batch file somewhere in your 'earlier' search paths, it should run pretty fast and not cause you to notice it's running external to Opus.

Edit- the first time it runs, you'll see either an error or an empty lister with %mygo% in the location and title bars. Running CTRL-W again from then on will work fine. If you added a set mygo=C: statement to your environment variables in system properties, then it won't happen and you can also get rid of the first line in the batch file.

(Searching for something else brought me here...)
Anyone who might be wondering, I thought I would point out that the commands

Favorites OPENINLEFT
Favorites OPENINRIGHT

work just fine. Perhaps it has been implemented in the meantime.

Yes this works here too !