Separate Single and Dual Folder View Defaults?

Is there a way to save separate default formats for when you are in single and dual folder views? In other words, if you switch back and forth between dual and single to have different columns, column sizes, etc...?

You could do something using scripting but I think it would get very messy, unless you never wanted any other formats for special folders.

A better solution might be to use the Auto-Size and Expand/Collapse options so you only need a single format but it adapts to different widths.

For example, you can make it so some columns contract or hide themselves completely when there isn't enough room for others, or so they go off to the right and can be scrolled to but don't use up space in the main visible area that you want to reserve for more important columns.

This video covers the possibilities:

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at that. I've just been playing around with setting up layouts for dual vertical, horizontal and single, customized the way I want them, and then placing a layout button on the toolbar to quickly cycle through them. This seems to be working pretty good so far.

1 Like

This lister cycling works, except I find now that when I first open a lister, after they have all been closed, that it is defaulting to the wrong layout. For instance, if have my dual horizontal lister open, then switch to my dual vertical lister, then close it, when I reopen it it's still in the dual vertical lister, but using the dual horizontal folder layout... meaning the columns, etc are messed up. However, if I switch back and forth between dual vertical and horizontal listers repeatedly, without closing them out, the folder layouts cycle with them properly.

Maybe Preferences / Launching Opus / Default Lister / Update Default Lister automatically when closing a Lister is turned off.

Thanks for the suggestion... I just looked, and that one is checked.

I'm assuming you're using the styles to change the folder formats (columns) in each mode. (Not setting up the default columns so they work in both modes, which is what I would do.)

If so, you'll also want to turn off Ignore folder format of Default Lister in the same place.

1 Like

Yes, I think that one has done the trick. Thanks for the help.

1 Like