Separators between Favourites in Folder Tree

Hi,

I'm probably missing something pretty obvious but I'm experiencing problems when trying to get separator lines to appear in the Favourites column. All looks well in the edit menu, however.

Please see attachment.

2 Likes

Not possible to have separators in folder tree.

The separators are only shown in the favorites menu, as @AlbatorV says they are not shown in the tree unfortunately.

Ah this is a shame. It would be useful to have separators in the tree itself. I'd like to put a feature request in for this - do I need to start a new topic to do so?

The problem is that the underlying tree control doesn't support separators as such. The only way we could do it is if each separator was a full item high (i.e. they would be dummy items) which might look a bit odd and would waste a lot of space.

I came across this problem myself today. I feel the separators in the Preferences are kind of useless if they aren't displayed in the folder tree. The preferences are there to set up what I see in the main program, so I naturally expected the separators to show up as well.

I want separators to visually declutter my favorites list when I use it. ALso please add a feature-request tag to this topic.

I managed to get separators of a sort to work in my Favorites tree.

I did this by creating an empty folder (i.e. a folder with nothing in it) and using em-dashes to make it appear like a line. You can type an em-dash in Windows with ALT+0151.

Additional steps I also did:

1. Create a Label Filter with Path length – Match – Is equal to – 0. This will match any folders with nothing in them. For some reason it does not work if the folder has any items in it.
  2. Assign a label with the Label Filter
  3. Edit the label, use Unselected text to apply a color, and set the File icon to a blank icon (in dopus.exe, bottom row). See screenshots below.

This seems to work well. These dummy separators do not appear in the Toolbar, so you can still use the normal separators outside the Folder Tree.

2 Likes

Since there seems to have been some confusion in the other thread, here are some more screenshots with the steps to follow.

Step 1: Create a new folder in Favorites, and type the name of the folder as multiple em-dash "—" characters. The em-dash character can be typed on Windows by holding down ALT and then typing 0151 on the numeric keypad. Alternatively, you can just copy and paste the character from this post.

Step 2: Create a label called "Divider blank". Set Category = Status, Unselected text = grey (or any color you like):

Next, click on Browse next to File icon and select the blank icon in the bottom row:

Step 3: Create a Label Assignment with Path length – Match – is equal to – 0. In the top right, select the label you just created (Divider blank)

After this, you should see a faint grey line that looks like a divider in your Favorites list:

2 Likes

Hi in step 2 when I select browse I do not see any file icons

You have to point the Select Icon dialog at a .exe, .dll or .ico file to load an icon from. Look at the "File" line at the top of the screenshot and compare it to what is in your window.

How do I add multiple dividers?

I made other dividers. I haven't a clue what all the labels and label filters and label assignments stuff does or means. Now 'This PC' is written in feint letters in the tree

I'm not sure what you've done to make that happen, unless you can give more information/detail on what you did before it happened.

Did you make a config backup before changing things?

Maybe it would be best to avoid anything too complicated if you're having trouble understanding things.

When he says create a new folder in favorites it is actually highlighting create new branch. I clicked around between label assignements, label filters, labels and Favorites list in preferences. I noticed there were still stars in the tree while I was still in preferences. These disappeared when I closed the preferences. I tried to copy the picture where he has Dividers 1, 2, and 3 image
I do have autism but i have used far more complicated programs than this but if the explanations or tutorials are not available i tend to get lost

I have reverted to a backup. When I try to recreate the label from the dopus.exe i still get a black square

by all respect - with everything crazy you can do in dopus you (Dopus Devs) are saying that this is the only way to add dividers in folder tree?

Did you by any chance test this on the latest version, which is v13 (and therefore the one with the latest improvements) before posting here?

Just installed. Perfect, now it works as it should.