SHIFT+Drag&Drop

My drag-and-drop settings seem to have gone a bit haywire since updating to 9.1.1.6 yesterday (2008-12-28).

SHIFT+Drag-and-Drop is set to copy and seems to work O.K. across different volumes on the same machine or across UNC paths — it copies the files to the destination lister — but when FTP is involved, it simply moves the file to the FTP or copies it down from FTP to the local folder. (I.e., it behaves exactly like Windows Explorer.)

Regular Drag-and-Drop is set to copy MOVE, but it's just copying — whether I'm going across UNC, to an FTP, or just folder to folder on the same drive.

Could this be a leftover bug from the recent FTP-related fixes? (I hope so. This is one of my favorite Opus features, and my fingers are so used to it that I'm liable to wreck a few directories if a fix doesn't come down the pike. :wink: )

Yes,
I also think something is definitely wrong.

I have my All Folders and Files filetype turned on it's head from yours.
I have drag-and-drop set to copy, and shift + drag-and-drop set to copy move.
My all folders and all files filetypes are not defined for these events.

I changed my configuration to yours and even rebooted the computer.
I am seeing almost the same results as you are .
Copy Move, drag-and-drop, does not work at all for me in this configuration even to a remote Linux based FTP address.
Copy, shift+drag-and-drop, works just fine even to a remote Linux based FTP address.
A copy move does NOT happen .

No, I'm wrong.
I do see it now.
Copy, shift+drag-and-drop, does result in a copy move to a remote Linux based FTP address in this filetype configuration.

Thanks for checking, Scred! I tested it six ways from Sunday last night, but I was doing it in between other things and worried that I may have made some changes I'd forgotten about.

Apparently not, since I've been seeing the same behavior today.

Hmm — I've never downgraded an Opus installation before, but I may give it a try here, since I drag-and-drop a lot and none of the 9.1.1.6 changes are essentials for me. Can I just reinstall 9.1.1.5 over my 9.1.1.6 installation, I wonder? :question:

Reinstalling 9.1.1.5 over 9.1.1.6 should be fine.

I tried installing 9.1.1.5 over 9.1.1.6 (x86) — and while Opus seemed to work fine, my drag-and-drop behaviors remained mucked-up. I went ahead and uninstalled 9.1.1.5, rebooted, and did a fresh install (of 9.1.1.5). That seemed to do the trick, as all my behaviors are now back to normal.

I'll just sit out this update and wait for 9.1.1.7, which will hopefully have a fix. :wink:

@Leo: I should probably mention that reading PretentiousName.com at the airport a couple of years ago is what prompted me to finally download and try Opus — and I immediately fell head-over-heels in love with it. I'd heard glowing recommendations before, but it was the screenshots and explanations on your site that convinced me to choose Opus over Total Commander. :smiley:

Any word on whether this is a known bug, and if there's a fix in the pipeline for 9.1.1.7?

(Or should I just cool my heels and wait for the next release to find out? :slight_smile: )

I've not had a chance to look at it myself yet. (Just back from holiday!)

9.1.1.7 has some drag & drop-related fixes but I don't know if any of them address this problem yet.

Thanks for taking time to reply, Leo! (Hope your holiday was a good one.)

If you hear anything and get time to post back, that'd be swell. Otherwise, I'll just keep my fingers crossed and watch for the 9.1.1.7 release and changelog. :sunglasses:

Had a hard drive failure last week, so it's taken me a while to get 9.1.1.7 installed — and, alas, this bug is still present for me. :frowning:

I'm still fairly new to participating in the Forum here. Should I post an official bug report somewhere? (Or is it safe to assume that this has been duly noted, and I'll just keep watching this thread for developments?)

(There seem to be an awful lot of threads here for any one mod to keep up with! :wink: )

You should probably file an official bug report. See the GPSoftware support form link in Leo's signature (or under the Help and Support topic in the forum index).

Thanks for answering my newbie question, R.! I wasn't sure if there was a dedicated bug tracker somewhere or if I should file with GP Software.

I'm preparing a tech support request right now and will post anything I discover here, in case others are watching this thread.

Hi, all —

Just wanted to stop in and report that the Opus team has been looking into this behavior and note that the latest version (9.1.1.8) has fixed two thirds of the anomaly:

Copying/moving from a local drive to another local drive works as expected.

Copying/moving from a local drive to a location on the local network (UNC path) (or vice versa) works as expected.

BUT — copying/moving from a local drive to an FTP location (or vice versa) is still reverse from what you would expect. (In my case, drag&drop results in a copy and SHIFT+drag&drop results in a move. If your settings are the reverse of mine, you'd see the reverse behavior.)

For now, I'm downgrading to 9.1.1.5, but if there's someone else out there watching this bug who doesn't do so much moving between FTP sites, you can probably step up to 9.1.1.8 without any hassle. :slight_smile:

Back on track with version 9.5 — along with a bunch of new goodies, it seems. :smiley:

Big thanks to Jon & the Opus team!

Just dropped in to report that a minor inconsistency is back in the 10.0.x version of Opus.

Everything behaves perfectly when dragging and dropping among folders on local and network drives. Likewise, things are exactly as I expect when dragging and dropping from an FTP site to a local or network location. BUT — when I drag and drop TO an FTP, the behaviors are reversed from what I would expect:

[ul]
[li]drag+drop -> FTP results in a copy when it should be copy MOVE[/li]
[li]SHIFT+drag+drop -> FTP results in copy MOVE when it should be simply copy[/li][/ul]

Everywhere else, the behaviors are terrifically consistent — which means that my clumsy fingers always find a way to screw up file transfers to remote FTP folders. :slight_smile:

(I dropped a note to the Opus dev team to re-open the original bug report, so they're aware of the behavior — but I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has noticed it.)

What happens when you drop files depends on the destination (and the application if you drop on something other than Opus, of course).

For some destinations (and most applications) you cannot override the standard behaviour, which is to copy (or "move-when-same") when nothing is held, move when shift is held, and copy ("when same" or not) when ctrl is held.

That makes sense — though I still hold out hope there's a way to restore the consistency for FTP with Opus, since it was there for me in early versions of 9.x and the very last versions of 9.x before 10.0.x versions started rolling out. :slight_smile: