Slow access via some buttons

Hello,
I just installed v9.0.0.5 and have been noticing since I think around 9.0.0.2 that when I push "my desktop" or "my computer" or "my network neighborhood" buttons, it gives a 3 - 5 second pause, likewise, if I try to browse away from those it gives that same pause, however from C:\ and deeper it will work as fast as the normal Windows Explorer.

Any ideas what that might be?

sorry, can't edit I think?

anyway, wanted to add that I have Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Anyone else seeing this?

It's the first I've heard of it.

If you're viewing My Computer and type C:\ into the address bar (instead of double-clicking it in the file list), is it still slow to respond?

[quote="nudel"]Anyone else seeing this?

It's the first I've heard of it.

If you're viewing My Computer and type C:\ into the address bar (instead of double-clicking it in the file list), is it still slow to respond?[/quote]

Yes - I just tried that and it's ultra slow. It seems like once you go to "My Desktop" or "My Computer" until you get away from those it's slow.

(in other words, if you're on My Desktop it will be slow no matter WHERE you go that first time -- for example c:\tempdocs -- but once you're in c:\tempdocs and go somewhere else it is fast again (excepting my desktop/my computer).

I'm freshly loading that machine back up again - so I installed the 32bit on ther to just test to see if it's an issue there as well and it does NOT have the issue in 32bit - only 64bit (the ONE good thing about buying Vista Ultimate in the box is that you get both 32 and 64 bit DVDs heh).

I'm trying to think of what it might be that is causing it ... perhaps I should try to disable something like the floppy disk (I still have one) and see if it's that like it's trying to read ahead or something?

/grasping at straws hehehe

I've removed both my floppy drive and also my DVD/CDRW and it still has this pause -- but only on the 64bit side, not on the 32bit for the same hardware AND again it does it for the Desktop (which I don't think actually looks to see what drives there are yet?)

Just "My Computer" and "My Desktop" are affected ... weirdness.

By the way, in the normal Explorer for Windows the "My Desktop" and "My Computer" display at the normal fast rate so I know that it's got something to do with DO9.

Still nobody else seeing this?

Can anyone on 64-bit Vista confirm that it doesn't happen for them? It would be good to rule that out if it's a red herring.

Nudel, is there a debug mode or something that would record and display or list everything that is going on when I'm accessing either the 'my computer' or 'my desktop' display? It is reproducible every time I try it, not just most of the time - and has remained even after a fresh reload of the OS.

I could send my toolbar layout or something for examination to at least rule that out?

There's no debug mode that would help here that I know of. Maybe running Process Monitor might reveal something happening during the delay, though.

If you want to rule out your toolbars just turn them off and turn on the default ones.

nah, but it was worth a shot.

Basically (and this isn't a huge worry to me honestly) when I hit the two evil areas it will take 4 seconds (if it's My Desktop) and 3 seconds (if it's My Computer) to populate that view, and then the same number to move out of that view to something else (such as C:) ... but once I'm out of those two when I go from place to place it's immediate.

That's all. no biggie, esp if I'm the only lucky schmoe that has it. Maybe it's something on my end that's hardware or otherwise unrelated to DO except in the other thing (hardware/software)'s interaction with it ...

//J

My guess is that it's a shell extension that is being disposed of when you exit the virtual folders in question (e.g. one that displays special additional columns in those folders or other folders). I don't know how to track it down, though, and I might be wrong.

You might be able to get some clues by seeing which columns Opus lists in the "Special" category. That will give some indication of some of the extra shell extensions you have, but it might not be relevant.

[quote="nudel"]My guess is that it's a shell extension that is being disposed of when you exit the virtual folders in question (e.g. one that displays special additional columns in those folders or other folders). I don't know how to track it down, though, and I might be wrong.

You might be able to get some clues by seeing which columns Opus lists in the "Special" category. That will give some indication of some of the extra shell extensions you have, but it might not be relevant.[/quote]

That's a good idea. I will see what shell extensions add to the "My Desktop" and "My Computer" that aren't in DO and disable (uninstall if need be) each to see if that's what it is.

Also, how can I display what DO lists in the Special category?

Folder Options dialog, then the Columns tab.

For me it's also in the menu I get when I right-click the column header in the lister, but I think that may be something non-standard that I've added. (The "More..." item in the standard menu will take you to the Folder Options dialog so it's convenient either way.)

I don't have that it seems ... :frowning:

doh! forgot can't edit. sorry for the dbl post due to that.

Just wanted to add that in the "My Computer" and "My Desktop" views there are no other options that aren't there outside of the normal windows options save for the NVIDIA control panel ...

You won't get the Special category listed unless there are any third-party columns in it. Note that under Vista Microsoft has deprecated the shell extension mechanism previously used to add custom columns, so I'm not sure how many existing column handlers will still work.

Virtual folders like the Desktop and My Computer are provided by Explorer and not by Opus, and so these will be the same in either program.

Perhaps it's how DO is asking Explorer to hand these off to them in the 64bit world that's causing the woes? As I had said, when this exact machine is running 32bit Vista this issue doesn't manifest so I'm going to just blame it on Vista64bit and call it a day. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the great program! //J