Slow copy function?

Slow copy function?
I have for some time now experienced wary slow file transfers with Dopus 10.
When copying from a local drive to a drive on a server elsewhere in my company network.
I get an average speed of 900KB when using DOpus. Using windows explorer I average 12MB.
The same thing happens with FTP Dopus maxed at 1,3 MB and command line at 15 MB.
Is there any known bugs or configurations that could be the cause for this?
Regards Moritz

I have been using Dopus sins Amiga Magellan.

(Edit 19/Nov/2013: I've added a section on Copy Attributes, aiming to keep everything in one place as I will probably turn this answer into an FAQ.)

These settings may have an effect in some cases (since some hardware/drivers/networks/etc. respond very differently to different buffer sizes, although the defaults usually work):

Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced:

[ul][li]copy_buffer_size (try setting it to 1 MB if the default 64KB doesn't work, but both smaller and larger values can help in different environments)

[/li]
[li]copy_nonbufferio_threshold (try setting it to 0 to disable non-buffered I/O)

[/li]
[li]ftp_copy_buffer_size (experimenting with it may help with FTP, but won't affect anything else)[/li][/ul]

If you type copy buffer into the filter at the bottom of the Preferences window, it will find and highlight the three options to make things easier.

The options above are described in detail here.

Preferences / File Operations / Copy Attributes:

[ul][li]If you are copying a huge number of small files, these options can have a significant affect on speed. If Opus is duplicating the file attributes or other metadata while copying files, it adds a small per-file overhead which can add up. This is often the difference when comparing the speed Opus copies to that of other programs, since the default Opus configuration preserves more file metadata when copying than Explorer does.[/li][/ul]

Those options are described in detail here.

Other things which may affect copy speeds:

[ul][li]Anti-virus and firewall tools, which may affect Opus differently to Explorer (either through configuration or hardcoded behaviour)

[/li]
[li]NAS firmware on the server side (we've seen several cases where NAS drives were only really tested against Explorer and performed much slower with other tools, often fixed in later updates of the NAS firmware once reported to the vendor)

[/li]
[li]Something else using the disk/network at the same time. This could include Opus, possibly indirectly. e.g. If you're copying video files, and are using thumbnails or columns that cause Opus to extract information from the video files, that will trigger a bit of extra disk access. Usually not a problem, but there have been cases where the 3rd party video codecs installed on a machine, which Opus asks to extract the info, react badly to some video files and end up using a lot of disk or CPU for what should be simple operations. Tools like Resource Monitor (built into Windows) and Process Monitor (free from Microsoft's website) can be used to see which files are being accessed by which processes and, in Resource Monitor's case, give you a simple overview of the amount of disk access incurred. (It's normal for files to be accessed in the background, but if something is reading MBs of data per second persistently and it's not the file being copied, it may indicate a problem somewhere.)[/li][/ul]