Slow Creation of ZIP-Files

So, I have a Folder with 500.000 JPGs spread over 100 Folders. To archive those more efficient i wanted to pack each folder in a zip file using the "Save-Compression Level". I managed to find that setting to change the default used from DOPUS. I used the Dropdown-Menue "Compress Files" and the Function "Compress Files in different Folders" (nor sure about the names, I am using the German Translation ....)

A Folder with ~600 Files and a Size of ~150 MB took 70 seconds to process.
I used 7-zip after that and even with Ultra-Compression it only took 30 seconds to compress.
Setting 7-zip to not apply any compression and only "save" the content to an archive resulted in a almost not messuarable process. It was 1 to 2 seconds.
Using the "normal" compression of 7-Zip took 10 seconds.

To not be fooled by caching, I repeated the process in different orders 3 times. Always got the same result. I also tried to reset the internal DOPUS Compressio Level back to normal. That gave more or less the same result the "Save only" compression Level.

What is suspicous that the longer the process is running, the slower the progress get!

Is this a bug in the compression routine or is it a feature?

Regards

Ingo

We plan to improve this in the near-ish future, but there's a workaround here for now:

1 Like

Thx for the workaround-link. I had the wrong words for my pre-post-search. But it explains why this happens!