Slow network folder transits

There is a about 2 second delay every time change folders on a network drive in Directory Opus. Explorer is lightning fast when navigating through the same folders. No problem with local folders, they are fast in dopus.

This gets really annoying when I have to navigate 10 folders deep through the network drives, which is very often. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Which version of Opus 11 are you seeing this with?

Crash, exit or high CPU usage when viewing certain directories has some suggestions which may be relevant.

I'm using v11.12 x64.

I checked out the post you suggested. I'm not using any of the shell extensions mentioned. I also checked CPU usage while rapidly transiting network folders; it goes up to only 5%. Transiting local folders uses 10%, probably because I can move through way more folders per second. So I don't think it is a CPU issue.

Thanks for your help

Other shell extensions are worth looking into, as well as anything that causes file data to be read (thumbnails, metadata columns, label filters if you've set any up).

Delays dealing with unavailable network drives are a problem with the Windows API in general. They'll affect different programs in different ways, but some of the same things will affect Explorer, for example.

It's best to avoid having unavailable drives mapped, if you can. Using UNC instead of mapping drive letters can help a bit (since you then only access the drive when you explicitly want to (not just to list the drive letters somewhere, or refresh the folder tree) which means it's more likely to only be accessed when really available, and you don't need to disconnect the drive with UNC paths so that problem is gone entirely.)

If the mapped drive letters are mainly for your own use, to avoid typing, Opus can provide alternatives like aliases which are even easier to type and don't cause things to access the drive unless you explicitly make them.