Slow performance after V10 upgrade

I recently installed the v10 (upgrade) over v9 and immediately afterward the performance has been pathetically slow. Same hardware and Windows installation, the only difference is v10. Although I have tried to keep exactly the same settings as in v9, I have noticed that some have been forcibly changed by the new installation but can't determine if any of them are causing this. The most obvious example of slow performance is each time I open (or go back to) a directory (folder) it takes 5-8 seconds to display. I get a grey bar saying it is "reading folder" and takes about the same time regardless of the contents, whether thousands of files or when the folder is empty. This never happened with v9. In fact over many years using Dopus I have never seen this grey bar "reading folder" dialog before and wonder if the dialog itself is new. In any event the problem is obviously something new in v10. This is on Thinkpad laptop with Intel Core2 3.07ghz processor with 8 gigs ram, Win 7 64 bit.

Does this happen even on a local drive, when going between C:\ and C:\Users, for example?

Does it happen when in Details mode, or only Thumbnails or other modes?

If you open up Task Manager and look at the CPU usage, does it go up while Opus is changing folders?

Try turning off all file display columns except for Name, then turning on the Format Lock (click the lock icon on the status bar) and then change folders again. Is it still slow?

If it is still slow in all of those cases then the most likely causes I can think of are:

[ul][li]Something in your toolbars / menus which is triggering a lengthy action each time Opus refreshes whether each toolbar button should be enabled. (e.g. If something on the toolbars is pointing to an unavailable network drive, it might cause that.)

[/li]
[li]A shell extension installed by something else, which is hooking into Opus and causing a delay for some reason. (e.g. We've seen some shell extensions which hit the network when they shouldn't.)

ShellExView can be used to see which shell extensions are installed and disable them to see if they are connected. The guide to troubleshooting problems when changing folders has a bit more information on that, as well as some other ideas which might prove useful.[/li][/ul]

The general slowdown or instability investigation steps guide has more suggestions if neither of those seem to help. Each of the suggestions has helped someone in the past, but it's hard to know which might be relevant to your machine.