SmartFavorites

Hello,

I’d like to use the SmartFavorites feature to track the folders I use most.

These are folders where I’m creating, modifying and deleting files and folders. What activity points do I need to set for these activities? I can see ones for delete and create folder but not for the two most important ones, creating and modifying files.

Thanks

It seems, like you can't set it. Depending on what precisely you're doing, you could perhaps use a trick. If you would modify your command to change an attribute & change it back in one go (so you won't actually change it),
you could trigger the attribute changes tracking. I don't know, if it would work, but since you can change the sensitivity of that setting, it possibly could. Maybe it is worth a try.

It seems strange that there are options for more obscure stuff like "Run External", "SetAttr", "join/split", but there's nothing there for tracking the creation and modification of files that I can see, that's why I wanted to check on here.

When I think what I do in my most frequently used folders it's working with the files (editing\creating\deleting) which I wouldn't have thought would be unusual. These are the type of folders i'd want added to my favourites.

abr, I tend to edit the files by double-clicking them in dopus to open them up and then save them from within the application. I delete files via dopus and there appears to be an option for delete anyway. Creating files is normally done via the application Save-As command or occasionally in dopus via the right click -> New option. I'm not sure how feasible it would be to add attributes to files.

[quote="reck"]It seems strange that there are options for more obscure stuff like "Run External", "SetAttr", "join/split", but there's nothing there for tracking the creation and modification of files that I can see, that's why I wanted to check on here.

abr, I tend to edit the files by double-clicking them in dopus to open them up and then save them from within the application. I delete files via dopus and there appears to be an option for delete anyway. Creating files is normally done via the application Save-As command or occasionally in dopus via the right click -> New option. I'm not sure how feasible it would be to add attributes to files.[/quote]
...I think you've just descried the main reason why the options you'd like aren't already there. With all of the options already available for activity thresholds, these are all Opus initiated actions, and I suppose therefore easy to "track".

To do what you want, Opus would need to watch "system wide" for external file/folder changes in order to detect any file/folder activity happening anyplace other than a folder currently open in a lister. This is probably an all-together different technique than what is being done now. Not saying it can't be done, but when viewed this way it's not that strange that internal Opus "file management" activities are covered whereas external application "content creation and modification" are not.

I don't think there's any way to get close to what you want other than trying to use the Double-click activity point in current prefs. But obviously, that'll trigger activity even when you do NOT change a file in the app that you load on dbl-click, and doesn't cover file "creation" either.

Steje I think you're probably correct. It limits how useful this feature is for me though as the most common triggers (working with files)aren't recorded.

I'm going to test using double click and see if get something I can work with.

Cheers