SoftLink/SymLink Question

I want to use metadata to update the user description of several files to point to symlinks which have been renamed. I may well be doing something wrong but the button code I created points all originals to the first selected symlink instead of each original to the corresponding symlink.

I also note that Go REFRESH appears to override @nodeselect.

Before (both SymLinks are selected)

Button Code

After

Regards, AB

Try this command instead:

@nofilenamequoting
@sync:dopusrt /cmd SetAttr "{filepath}" META "comment:{filepath}"

this isn't working for me! it just writes the file's address on the description

That's what it's meant to do (at least if by address you mean path).

What do you want it to do?

write the path of the original, not the path of the link.
if you have C:fileA.txt that has a symlink in D:fileAlnk.txt
then I thought you select fileAlnk, click on the button and have C:fileA.txt on the user description.
Now I see D:fileAlnk.txt .

No, the button is so you select C:\fileA.txt and write C:\fileA.txt into the description, which will then show up when you view the file from D:\fileAlnk.txt as well.

OK this serves the same purpose, so OK, but it still doesn't work as intended, i.e., the user description doesn't propagate to the symlink !

What type of file are you using it on?

Have you got Opus configured to store descriptions in descript.ion files instead of NTFS metadata, for filetypes that don't have description tag support in the files themselves? (Or are you using a non-NTFS drive for the non-link side of the file?)

they are all NTFS drives and yes, i have the "use descript.ion file comments system instead of NTFS commments" checked.
I've also noticed that the button doesn't work at all on 1-2 folders (ie it doesn't write the path info on the user description column).
I m looking into it!

Descript.ion comments won't work across links because they are stored in the dir containing the file, not tied to the file itself.

i m kind of lost here, does this mean I should prefer the NTFS comment system? or are you just saying, if you select descript.ion, then you don't get 'that' functionality ?
In general, should I prefer one over the other?

NTFS comments are used by default over of descript.ion ones but which you prefer depends on how you want to use the descriptions and whether or not you have other software that an understand one type of description but not the other.

The docs on the option describe some of the differences:

gpsoft.com.au/help/opus10/defaul ... aviour.htm

thanks very much!