*SOLVED* - Mouse Movements in System Folders

When I try to drag/drop from either the Desktop, Recycle Bin, or Network Neighborhood, the mouse does not track properly. What I mean is that with dual vertical panes if I drag a file from one of those directories straight across to any other folder, the mouse disappears and it seems as if the mouse is actually way at the top of the listers somewhere in the toolbar. I have to move the mouse around to get it to reappear back in the folder pane. This behavior is only apparent from those folders I mentioned, and only when dragging from those folders. If I drag into one of those folders, the mouse tracks properly but image of the file is not visible while dragging once I get into that pane. After stopping the mouse, I get the proper context menu.

Directory Opus 8.2.2.1U

Does this problem also happen in Explorer? The folders you mention are all handled by Explorer, even within Opus, so it might be something generally wrong with Explorer, or it might be something going wrong when Opus uses Explorer.

Which version of Windows are you using and which display mode (Details, Thumbnails etc.) do you have the Explorer-side folder in?

Yes, I tried it using 2 Explorer windows and there was no problem.

I now believe this is related to another problem I have with DO running in List mode because that also creates screen draw problems for me. See here:
[url]Lister pane blank on callup]

But, having said that, I have the mouse movement problem in view modes other than List. I do have DO set to open all folders in List mode but I switched to Details in both panes to see if the problem remained and it did.

XP Pro SP2
DO 8.2.2.1 U

Can anyone else reproduce this? I can't and not sure what to try that might trigger it.

I did some playing around:

• With the Desktop in the right pane and any other folder in the left, if I drag a file from the desktop pane into a normal folder in the left, the mouse will jump about 200 pixels up and 200 pixels to the left when I cross panes. Moving it back into the Desktop pane it will jump back 200 right and 200 down.

• With the Desktop in the right pane and any other folder in the left, if I drag a file from the actual desktop (not in DO) into a folder in the left pane, the mouse doesn't jump but the file being dragged will jump off the mouse pointer and be about 200 pixels up and to the left. I tried to take a screenshot but the mouse pointer doesn't capture.

• If the desktop is in the left pane and any other folder in the right, the mouse behavior is correct, dragging into either pane.

• In single pane mode; if I drag a file from the Win Desktop (not in DO) into any normal folder in DO, I get the bad behavior (file being dragged jumping off the mouse pointer).

• With the desktop in a single lister and any other folder in a separate lister, if I drag from the Desktop lister into the other lister, the file stays on the mouse pointer but the pointer and file jump up and to the left together.

Switching from List mode to Details doesn't seem to make a difference.

I uninstalled DO, scrubbed the registry of anything mentioning DO, and reinstalled without importing my saved settings. This did not make a difference, I still got the odd behavior.

Still can't reproduce here.

What mouse/driver are you using?

Tried a different mouse/driver combination?

Logitech Optical Mouse with std MS XP driver ("HID-compliant Mouse"). No special Logitech driver loaded. Tried with another generic optical mouse and it didn't make a difference.

I'm not surprised that you cannot reproduce this as I have a strong feeling that this is closely related to the other screen draw problems in the other post I referred to. In that thread, Steje (and others) had the same problems with listers coming up blank until a refresh was commanded. You mentioned that you could not reproduce that either. So, it must be something related to my setup, although I have zero problems with all other applications and I've been using the same laptop now for 2.5 years.

Here is another thread in addition to the one referred to earlier in this thread that refers to the screen refresh problem: [url]Reluctant icons]. Again, not what I'm reporting here but I believe they are somehow related.

I wonder if it's not somehow related to the xp theme you're using. I use a patch uxtheme.dll so perhaps you could provide a link to the theme.

It may also help if you do a complete export of your Opus preferences and provide it here too.

Well, I figured out how to do a screen cap to include the mouse.

Here is a capture showing the filename offset from the mouse:

Here is another one after switching to the Windows Classic Theme. It shows the file attached to the mouse pointer but you can see that the filename is not visible.

Now, same setup except dragging from a non-system folder:

I'm not sure how to attach the settings export. I have the *.dps file but it is not text. I do use a patched uxtheme.dll and a style named nautilus4, but I've had it for years and have no idea where it came from. But, as you can see, even with the classic theme, I have the problem.

Well, I tracked the culprit down. If I turn off XP's visual effect setting "show windows content while dragging", I get the problem. I enabled that vis effect and Dir Opus works normally now. I don't know if it is a bug with Dir Opus or not but I can live with that setting reenabled.

Just curious now, does anybody else have this if they turn off that setting?

Yes I can repeat this - well found! :slight_smile:

We'll get this fixed in the next version.

Just for the record you can attach the .dps files to forums posts just the same as most other filetypes (including images). There's an "Add an Attachment" just below the section where you type your reply.

This was not fixed in the last update. Running ver 8.2.2.3 U and the problem still exists.

Bump
Problem still there in ver 8.2.2.4 U.

Woops, sorry about that! We had fixed the bug in the internal development version but I forgot to integrate the fix with the release version. We have updated the version on our website, if you'd like to download it and try again :slight_smile:

Confirmed working well. Thank you.