Some ideas for D-Opus Integration Enhancements

Hello.

I’ve been using Directory Opus for about a while now and I really love it as an alternative to the rather basic Windows Explorer.

However, I had some ideas on how the program could be improved even further to improve functionality.

Desktop Context Menus – My number one suggestion would be to allow Directory Opus context menus to be used as within windows explorer and the Windows desktop. I realize that a problem with this is that the Directory Opus context menu options and commands are not necessarily compatible with the Windows Explorer context menu. However, there is a way it could still be done. Because Directory Opus runs as a process in the background anyway, this process could be used to explicitly define the context menus. A program which works this way is Mmm. It can be found here: hace.us-inc.com/mmm.shtml. It allows the user to customize the context menus in ways which would not normally be supported by windows. It achieves this by running the background process Mmm.exe, which can be invisible or can be made to show an icon on the taskbar.

Firefox Integration – Directory Opus is a great alternative to Windows Explorer and Firefox is a great alternative to Internet Explorer, so why not integrate the two? What I mean by this is the following: In windows explorer, if you type a URL into the location bar it will transition to Internet Explorer and open the location in the same window. It would be cool if Opus could do the same thing, but with Firefox.

Lock/Save Associations - One thing that drives me crazy is when I install a new piece of software and it steals the file extention associations for a number of file types which I do not want it opening. I have to go back and manually set the icons and file associations back. It would be great if Opus had a feature to automatically restore the associations.

Any coments on these ideas are welcome

-Steve

The desktop context menu question should be doable - it's for GPSoft to say whether or not they see value in implementing more functionality there...

The Firefox integration should already be there. Both Explorer and Opus should simply try to process what you type based on which browser is set to be the system's 'default browser'. If I type an http:// URL in an Opus location/address bar, that URL opens in Opera for me...

The file associations thing is currently a bit out of Opus realm. Opus 'integrates' with Explorer's shell environment. As such, alot of the Opus filetype customization things are stored under the filetype 'descriptions' registry keys. Forgive me if I'm explaining something you already know, but take MP3 files for instance... In order to allow you to add special context menu actions for .MP3 files, Opus reads the .mp3 extensions "description" which on my system is foobar2000.mp3. It's under the foobar2000.mp3 file that Opus put's it's opus shell commands. If I configure BSPlayer to be the default handler for mp3 files, the 'description' for that file extension changes to BSPlayerFile.MP3. This is what causes Opus to 'lose' filetype associated commands you may have configured for a particular filetype... In order to process an mp3 file... Opus would now resolve the .mp3 file extension to the BSPlayerFile.MP3 description and would naturally not find what had previously been defined as a foobar2000.mp3 opus shell action. I imagine GPSoft could indeed do something extra to store references to file descriptor keys you make customizations to and allow you to reset them... the info is present in the filetypes.dpf settings export after all... but for now, one way I've gotten around applications hijacking my file associations and causing grief in my Opus customizations has been to add the extensions of files I want to keep track of to an Opus defined 'File Type Group'. Opus stores ONLY the file extension for type you assign to a group under one of it's own reg keys, which will never get hijacked. Any customizations you make will also be located under this Opus specific key and so will always be accessible without the need for extension->descriptor type resolution which can change as other applications come and go and take your system over :slight_smile:. I've done this for a variety of file types like ISO, BIN, and various archive file since I am constantly evaluating various disk imaging/mastering, archive, and hex editor applications...

Hey Steje, when you get time, could you post a Step-by-Step on ORC here somewhere of how to do this? Sounds like good stuff.

I just went through hell myself on a new PC installing 5 different media players for everything I use (Quicktime, WMP 10, Real, Nero, PowerDVD, etc). Each has something only they can play, and each tries to hijack some file format from one of the others.

Sure Ken... I'll work on it tonight, post it to the Help & Support forum, and if the admins feel inclined they can move it to the FAQ or I can make it a tutorial.

[quote="steje"]...

The Firefox integration should already be there. Both Explorer and Opus should simply try to process what you type based on which browser is set to be the system's 'default browser'. If I type an http:// URL in an Opus location/address bar, that URL opens in Opera for me...
...[/quote]

I have tried everything that I can think of to get a URL to open in the file area, but have had no success. It just opens up the URL in a new IE window rather than in the file area. If I type a URL address into an Explorer address bar, it displays the rendered page in the file area as expected. Any ideas? I'd love to be able to have my Favorites, etc, open in dopus. Since it already has a tabbed interface. I'd just use it as my browser...

There's no way to do that. Opus is a file manager, not a web browser. :slight_smile: Although you can view HTML files (via IE and the ActiveX viewer plugin) if you select them and turn on the viewer pane.