Some MTP issues (Sony NWZ-S545)

1. When I connect my Sony NWZ-S545 and try to open it in DOpus (latest beta) I see empty folder MUSIC. When I open this device with Windows Explorer, I see folder contents. See attach. After opening with Explorer DOpus will show contents too.

2. I can't create new folder on device with error something like "Incorrect operation". When I try to create again, it will be created ok.

1. When I copy music from DOpus to device I have such errors that crashed Opus:

MTP issues continues with DOpus 10.5 Release.

After connecting player to computer and opening it in DOpus (10.5) I see empty folders. Like no files on player. Calculating show 0 bytes or empty folders. When I open it in Windows Explorer, so DOpus will also show folders as expected. Calculating show correct folder sizes etc.

Just some words about empty folder...
I have a Galaxy S3 and I notice that sometimes, some folders were empty.
I try to open it with Explorer, bBut when I browse folders I have this alert...

It's in french but we can read this : "This device is busy, its content may not display fully. if another application is in the process of copying data to the device or from the device, wait until the end of the operation, and then try again."
These alert is not displayed in Opus, so maybe that operation is in progress so Opus not display files.

Still crashing while working with Walkman.

Unless someone can send or loan us a Sony NWZ-S545, we're unlikely to be able to do anything about this, realistically.

MTP support was added mainly for newer Android phones. It also works with other things, of course, and where we can expand that we will, but we can't obtain every possible device needed to do that.

It's not just Sony phones that have this issue. Before the last update my Galaxy S3 did the same. Now when I delete a file Opus will hang for about a minute but then unfreeze and work normally. It's early days though so I have not tested it that much.

The NWZ-S545 is an MP3 player, FWIW.

We have a Galaxy S3 and fixed the issue we could find with it, but the Windows MTP stack does still get tied up sometimes (in both Explorer and Opus, although more often in Opus at the moment). One thing to note is that MTP only lets you transfer one file at a time, so if anything (e.g. thumbnails, Description column, or similar) is causing files to be read off the phone in the background, it will cause delays to other operations. (Since Opus tends to display more information based on file contents than Explorer, that may be one of the reasons the delays affect Opus more than Explorer, although it's hard to be sure to be honest.)

My problem has always been when deleting files. Opus used to crash, but now it just hangs for a long time before recovering. Happens when deleting or moving files. I'm not doing anything else at the same time, I just have a lister in details mode for the source and destination. Affects both the phone internal memory and SD card. Windows 7 x64.

I have the same problem. If I delete file on my SG3, Opus freeze... If I unplug device during freeze, Opus briefly display list files. :frowning:

I had a firmware update for the GS3 today and then a driver update via Windows Update. One or the other seems to have sorted this issue out, at least in my initial tests.

interresting... what is the firmware ?

JZ054K.I9300XXEMC2

Was going to start a new thread but my issues are similar to this one...

I have been experiencing repeated DO crashes when accessing MTP partitions on my Galaxy S3. I can open and browse the Phone and Card partitions fine, but when right-clicking to perform a context menu selection DO freezes with a busy cursor and I have to unplug the phone to continue. Sometimes DO will come back and sometimes it crashes. As an example, in a dual pane lister I open the Phone partition on the left, select a couple of files to copy to a hard drive on the right, right-click for context menu to do the copy and DO freezes. I unplug the phone and DO either becomes operational again, it completely crashes or attempts to terminate a hung thread. But once DO is running again, I am able to successfully perform the same operation by instead invoking the Copy command from a DO toolbar button or menu pick. So there seems to be something going on with the right-click context menu operation.

My setup looks like this...

Computer:
Windows 8 Pro x64
Directory Opus Pro 10.5.1.0 (4848) x64
OS 6.2 (B:9200 P:2 T:1) SP 0.0

Android:
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGH-T999)
Android OS 4.4.1 (rooted)
Build JRO03L.T999UVDLJA

on the DO

I think some people who have problems with Galaxy S3 phones found they went away when they updated the firmware, FWIW.

We have a test S3 and haven't been able to reproduce any crashes with it so far.

If a crash dump is created matching the time of the problem, you can zip & send it to me or Jon via a private message and we'll take a look to see if it reveals what might be going wrong.

I missed this post.. i made a new topic with the same problem, with my Galaxy Note 2 (yes, samsung again !).
And Leo gave me a workaround : in preferences/miscelaneous, set mtp_enable = False

Since it works perfectly for me, i wonder if it's not windows who's busying our phone ??

It works on my GS3 with latest firmware but there are long pauses after copying and deleting files.

[quote="mykael"]I missed this post.. i made a new topic with the same problem, with my Galaxy Note 2 (yes, samsung again !).
And Leo gave me a workaround : in preferences/miscelaneous, set mtp_enable = False

Since it works perfectly for me, i wonder if it's not windows who's busying our phone ??[/quote]

Windows busying my phone? No.... MS can do not wrong. :laughing: I love what you said... that ought to be the general solution to all of our problems.

Thank You. Your suggestions are all will taken. I will dig deeper and report as necessary...

BTW. Leo does indeed rock.

set mtp_enable=False does the trick. Performance is significantly improved in performing filesystem operations. No hangs, crashes or delays at all.

Thanks.