Some questions about rename

some questions about rename
when i rename the files without any Chinese character,it can select all filename except filename extension ,

but when i rename some files with Chinese character, some files it select all filename with extension,

but some select filename and a part of extension,

and can't rename (must use the rename dialog box to rename it)

my system is Chinese Windows XP system.

I think this question also exist in the filename in Japanese and Korean...

thanks
fankoo

Opus doesn't really have full Unicode support right now. It's coming, but until it's added there are some limitations and oddities like this.

The one thing that really bugs me about DOpus 8 is the rename behavior. I have not found a way to change a file extension. And this is a PITA. I understand the reasoning behind this as stated in the manual. But some of us DO change file extensions and would like to have the ability back to do so.

Not sure I understand - the rename command lets you rename file extensions just like it always did.

[quote]
nudel wrote:
Opus doesn't really have full Unicode support right now. It's coming, but until it's added there are some limitations and oddities like this.[/quote]

expect the next and more powerful D.Pous......:slight_smile:

[quote]
jon wrote:
Not sure I understand - the rename command lets you rename file extensions just like it always did.[/quote]

Sorry, NOT!

Read page 22 of the manual. In Details or Power mode you CAN'T select the file extension.

Now I spend pretty much all my time using DOpus in Power Mode. And it bothers me that I can't change a file extension in POWER MODE! If anything it seems to me that the ONLY mode you should be able to change a file extension in is POWER MODE. Taking power away from the user in POWER MODE seems counterintuitive to me.

If you mean in general, rather than relating to the issue with Unicode files that started this thread, then that isn't true.

Rename in Opus higlights just the filename by default to make life easier -- and it's a feature I really like -- but when you need to change a file's extension you're free to do so. Just move the cursor and edit the extension. You can also press Ctrl-A to select the entire string, Ctrl-E to select just the extension and Ctrl-F to select just the name again.

Opus's way is much better than the Explorer way of selecting the entire thing by default, forcing you to manually select and/or delete the name part, leaving the extension, then type your new name... With Opus you typically just hit rename and type the new name without worrying about the extension.

[quote]Sorry, NOT!

Read page 22 of the manual. In Details or Power mode you CAN'T select the file extension.[/quote]

Page 22 says:

It doesn't say anywhere that you can't change the extension and would be wrong if it did.

I'm annoyed by this as well as I tend to spend my entire time in Power mode. I've tried to find a way to customize it but the only customization options are for what is initially highlighted when you select a file for inline renaming.

So, for now, I just use the Rename dialog box.

Well I must be missing something. If I have a file selected for renaming NONE of the suggested Control key combos work.

Have you by any chance turned off the display of filename extensions? If so, then you can't edit them in inline rename, since... well.. they're turned off.

Just click the Rename button on the toolbar.

I have checked the "Hide file Extension in Filename column" in the Folder Options menu if that's what you mean. But I had the same setup with DOpus 6 and it worked fine.

I know I can use the button. But I would prefer to just be able to use the mouse like I used to be able to.

To me it seems that Power Mode is much less powerful than before because of this "feature".

Well it's nothing really to do with Power mode, it will behave the same in all modes. If you turn off file extensions they are not displayed, so can't be edited.

[quote]
jon wrote:
Well it's nothing really to do with Power mode, it will behave the same in all modes. If you turn off file extensions they are not displayed, so can't be edited.[/quote]

Then this behavior has changed since DOpus 6. I have my columns setup as Name - Ext - Size - Date - - - Same as I had in DOpus 6 and I was able to change the extensions there.