Some sort of tagging

Hi everyone,

I'm about to buy DOpus. At this time there is just one thing that can stop me :

-Is there any way to "tag" some files ? For my work I'm looking for some software in which I could annotate or tag or change the police color of specific PDF/Docx/txt/whatever.

In Dopus the preview of the file is something awesome and all I need to make me happy is a way to distinguish files from others.

Hi Miaouss,

I'm not much of an expert, but as to coloring, you can color files and even folders in DOpus at various levels (by attributes e.g. normal/compressed/system etc., file type, file type group).

This is all out of the box, and you might find a plugin that can associate textual tags with file types.

[quote="Miaouss"]Hi everyone,

I'm about to buy DOpus. At this time there is just one thing that can stop me :

-Is there any way to "tag" some files ? For my work I'm looking for some software in which I could annotate or tag or change the police color of specific PDF/Docx/txt/whatever.

In Dopus the preview of the file is something awesome and all I need to make me happy is a way to distinguish files from others.[/quote]

And another screenshot, this time with the folder colorizer.

thank you for the reply :wink:

But with that solution, all I can do is to give a color to a folder or a filetype. What I want is to distinguish some pdf between other pdf. With a color code, a tag or an annotation: anything that is visible in the explorer.

Maybe the description functionality can help you here. If you turn on the 'description' column, you can see it in your lister.

You also might want to try using the checkbox mode of Opus which allows you to temporarily tag files of your choosing.

The following command in a button will toggle checkbox mode on or off.

Set CHECKBOXMODE=Toggle

The description field is a very nice feature, though i would appreciate some extra tagging function as requested in the original post. This is, because an extra tagging function is a slightly different function & would be faster to set or remove. It is some temporary tagging, while the descriptions are meant to provide information about the content or purpose of files ("...hm, what was that exe for again?").

I´d like to suggest two things regarding the description field.

One is, it produces a hidden file, which will stay hidden when toggling all files to be unhidden. In case of having such presence of a descript.ion file, i´d prefer to have it either shown in a different color in the status bar (in blue, when there are no more other hidden files currently shown, because of the toggling, otherwise included in the red hidden file count) or even not to be shown at all as a hidden file (maybe as an additional checkbox in the prefs "do not show hidden description files" or so).

The other thing is, it would be very nice if the search function would be able to search for matches inside description fields.

There is already an option in Preferences which does just that.

You can already do that as well. Description is one of the things you can match on when defining a filter (e.g. in the Find panel, Advanced tab).

There is already an option in Preferences which does just that.
[/quote]

This only hides the descript.ion file fom the lister, but not from the status bar (a red "1" will remain). But this is not a big problem.

You can already do that as well. Description is one of the things you can match on when defining a filter (e.g. in the Find panel, Advanced tab).[/quote]

I just tested it, that´s very cool.

thank you!

Hello,

For this purposes Expression Media from Microsft is very good tool. It has a quite high price tag though. As a workaround I can propose to use in Dopus "Collections" option. You can make a collection of files with common properties.
Regards, Toller

Hmmm... with the psyche-out that MS pulled with the promises of what WinFS might have delivered, I wonder if it's time some sort of poll was taken here on the forums asking how many of us users feel some sort of meta-data database enhancement to Opus is considered SUPER important...

There have been a handful of topics over the past few years with lots of interest such as this one... where the case has been presented for Opus to include such meta tagging capability...

At one point, the counter argument against putting in the tremendous effort to pull something like this off with quality was that it made no sense for GPSoft to start such an undertaking if MS was otherwise doing it themselves... It's same counter arg against Opus providing it's own indexed search facility with the likes of GDS, YDS, X1, etc etc already being available and in cases free...

That said, I will add this:

• It's high time we were given (by somebody, anybody) a GENERIC database driven tagging facility that is NOT tied to file format type. There is every bit as much reason and benefit in tagging files of ANY type as there is to tag 'media' files... In the thread I mentioned above the concept of 'faceted' search is quite a leap ahead from what we can do today (and it actually seemed like I was throwing up some devils advocate opposition to the necessity for it, vs what could 'sort' of be achieved today through the use of collections and stuff... :wink:)...

• As is mentioned in the topic I referred to (it's an interesting read...) what we're talkking about here is intrinsically different from 'just' searching, and would be something that I would expect would ENTIRELY replace the current File Collection system in Opus, but would be 'accessed' and made use of within Opus in a similar way to File Collections...

• With such a system, I THINK I might want to see custom tag FIELDS and then VALUES that could be assigned to those fields...

• Perhaps a job for SQLite???

Miaouss,

If you are looking just to visually mark certain folders / files you may want to check out Shedko Bages (link below).

It allows you to apply icon overlays and it appears to work with DOpus without any problems (if you are using Vista you will need the latest Beta).

Cheers

Andy

http://eng.softq.org/badges.htm

You can also change folder icons via their Properties dialog without any extra software (although it takes a few more clicks):

[Color Folder Icons)

I just looked at the color options, and it seems like it is not consistant in how it's working on my machine. My folders are marked to show up in blue, and that is working. Compressed files however are selected to show up in purple and my zip files are still showing up in black as normal files.

Is there something else besides Settings > Preferences > Display > Color & Fonts > File and Folder Colors > Compressed Files > Enable this Color that must be checked?

A zip file is not necessarily a compressed file :slight_smile:

This refers to NTFS file compression. That is, on an NTFS partition, right-click on a file, choose Properties, then Advanced and turn on the Compress contents to save disk space option. You can also use the Set Attributes command in Opus to compress/uncompress a file.