Sort names

Hello
why never sort names works?
I have always had problems with V and W they mix, and in the Swedish alphabet V comes before W
i'm not good at english so hope you understand what i mean.

Can you show some examples that sort incorrectly, with a screenshot of how those files are sorted in Opus and in File Explorer?

Please post screenshots of the full windows, uncropped, so we can see how the columns are being sorted as well as the names themselves.

I have the same issue I believe, although not with Swedish, but with English. When the file pane is sorted by Name (either ascending or descending), some files end up out of order, and I have found nothing to explain it. I do have a dark theme installed, but I don't believe it does anything with sorting. I'll upload 2 screenshots, and although they show only folders out of order, the same issue happens with files in the same folder that's in the screenshot -- it was just too big to include them all.

I am a registered user of DOpus 12.16 x64 on Windows 10 x64 v1903. Had trouble linking my forum account to my license.

David

Does that problem only happen on some devices (e.g. that NAS or type of NAS), or have you seen it on the local drive as well? (NTFS keeps the list of names sorted, while some NAS might return them in a different order. I don't think it should ever matter, since Opus sorts the list itself anyway, but it's worth asking in case it helps understand what's happening.)

What happens if you click another column heading to sort by that? Does that sort work, or is it also wrong? (If wrong, is it stuck in the same order as before?) Does it then sort correctly if you click the Name column heading again?

If you go to Folder > Folder Options (near the top-left/middle of the toolbars), what are the setting you have there for the first two tabs?

It happens on the local drive as well. See the picture of the E:\UserData directory, which is local.

Sorting by other columns appears to work correctly. See the pic of SortBySize. When I go back to sort by name, the problem sort remains -- it does not correct itself.

See the pics for the settings in the dialog boxes you requested.

David

From the way things are sorted, it looks like "ignore prefix" has been set to A|The or similar, without any spaces.

(You'd want to use something like A_|The_ where _ is a space character, otherwise things like Abba and Adele will be sorted as bba and dele.)

(And everything starting with The is at the top of the list since they all effectively start with a space character if sorting is set to ignore The and not The_, where _ is a space.)

It doesn't look like that is set on the Amazon MP3 folder format in your screenshot, but that's my guess as to what's happening. Is it set on any other format(s) in Preferences / Folders / Folder Formats?

2 Likes

You are correct. I don't know when I turned that option on, but it has been a while. I've now customized it as you suggested and the issue is gone. I'll have to see how much I like it, so I'll try it a while.

Thanks!
David

1 Like