Speed of archiving a folder

I have noticed what might be a potential room to improve the speed of archiving the of folders.

My scenario is I have a folder of images that is around 100mb that is on a network folder.
If I use 7zip to compress the folder it will compress in in a couple of seconds.
If I use the command Copy ARCHIVE=single HERE the first couple of files are fast however as the files are added the copy appears to slow down.

I suspect the copy archive command is saving or closing and reopening the zip after each file is added. Where as the 7zip command is only saving the file at the end of the process.

I have experienced similar issues when dealing with zips in powershell. Most powershell scripts add each file one at time, closing and then reopen the zip. However if you can append multiple files before saving it can dramatically improve the speed.

The =single part disables batch mode at the moment, which does make things much slower with large archives.

These days you can achieve the same result without the slowdown via a short script, which can be found here:

1 Like

Thanks I will take a look