Start folder tree at Favorites

It would be really useful to "Start The Folder Tree" at Favourites.

In reality.... I only want Favourites in the Folder Tree .... I am forced to pick another option, which then populates that entry (which I do not want) in the Folder Tree.

(I am hoping my screen dump example is included.)

1 Like

You could use "Libraries" -- which has it's own quirks and limitations -- which I've set and saved as my default startup lister layout (before), as well as locking the tree with only Libraries expanded. I've stopped using/expanding my Favorites tree as there's a huge lag in displaying the label colors... as well as a weird bug where refreshing the opposite lister creates a mirrored list of Favorites folders below the last folder of the tree. It disappears eventually, but it just got too annoying eventually for me.

I will try Libraries, but in principle, I avoid using Libraries. Too many hidden Windows rules and complications.

It should be possible to have a minimum footprint in the folder tree... and what would be more useful than just my favourites.

With Favourites I can add and remove entries as my current workflow requires.

The main reason I considered Opus was the mess Windows makes of the Folder tree and insistance to scroll down to the bottom, leaving my Favourites hidden at the top and lots of keyboard clicks needed to use them.

I am new to Opus and pleased with my current Lister layout, just needing a minimilist footprint in the folder tree to make it perfect.

Is there a thread with more detail on that?

The Windows 10 tree is definitely horrid. I used to use the folder tree a lot for years but now have switched to using several preset tab "groups" and lister layouts, as well as the different types of "flat view" -- not to mention the "filter bar." I rarely unlock my folder tree nowadays. If I want to jump to a different drive, I can use a drop down drive button menu or use some predefined shorcut keys e.g. ALT + [drive letter]

I was thinking of posting a bug report on that... will create one.

I never used Libraries either. I like knowing where my files are and organizing them in real folders, not virtual groups of them.

I ditched the Folder Tree years ago and haven't looked back. Maybe think about trying a vertical toolbar to replace the Tree. You can place whatever shortcuts on it that you like. Plus it can handle dragging folders on it for temp projects.

The look isn't everyones cup-of-tea, but have a look how I stopped using the Folder Tree, maybe it'll inspire you to give it a try :slight_smile:

Agreed. To me, the folder tree just takes up space and has little, if any, value.

I hardky ever use the folder tree these days, but...

I have retained a button which opens my standard layouts complete with the folder tree, should I ever need it.

Unless you change it, by default F8 toggles the folder tree.

Thanks for that.

I have tried it, but F8 does nothing at all for me, and I have not changed it. ???

Either you've changed it or your config dates back to a much earlier version before F8 was the default.

It's easy enough to edit the menus and assign a hotkey to things if you need to.

Hello Leo...

I don't remember having changed it. It does nothing at all now, and I certainly would not have consciously changed it to make ti do nothing :slight_smile:

However, my layout is years old, and I suppose it's possible that it may even predate the setting of F8 as a folder tree toggle?

While the layout itself is old, I keep my Opus version up to date, currently 12.7.3 (Beta) x64, so, I believe I have all the functionality offered by the current version.

As I have a working button which toggles the tree on and off, I am disinclined to make an unnecessary change