Startup files

I am looking at my startup files, trying to identify those that do not need to start at system startup. I find dopusrt.ext, Directory Opus Helper Application, and would like to ask what it does.

Thanks,

Hans L

dopusrt.exe handles things like desktop double-click.

Okay, so I assume that it has to start up when Dopus starts.

I opened Windows Task Manager – Processes tab, and noticed that when I closed Dopus, the dopus.exe and dopusrt.ext processes continued to run. I know that this is probably nothing unique to Dopus, but do you happen to know why the processes continue to run?

Regards,

Hans L

Did you actually exit Opus or just close all of its windows? See this FAQ.

dopus.exe should not continue to run if you have exited Opus.

dopusrt.exe may continue to run, depending on your settings. If desktop double-click is enabled then dopusrt.exe will always be running so that you can launch Opus by double-clicking the desktop, whether the main process is already running or not.

Nudel, I only closed Dopus windows (I don't even know how to exit it). Thanks for the FAQ.

Now, when you said "dopusrt.exe handles things like desktop double-click", is there any way I can find out (or would you know) what else dopus.exe does? I do not need the double-click on the desktop, because I open Dopus with a keyboard button (and it starts up automatically when the system starts). If I do not need dopusrt.exe, I would like to prevent it from running in order to save RAM and simplify things in general.

Regards,

Hans L

[quote="nudel"]Did you actually exit Opus or just close all of its windows? See this FAQ.
[/quote]

I checked as shown in he FAQ, but the dopus.exe and dopusrt.exe still runs when I close Dopus.

Hans L

[quote="HansL"][quote="nudel"]Did you actually exit Opus or just close all of its windows? See this FAQ.
[/quote]

I checked as shown in he FAQ, but the dopus.exe and dopusrt.exe still runs when I close Dopus.

Hans L[/quote]
You have to exit DOpus from the system tray on the taskbar.

Jeff, if that is true, what is the prurpose of
[X] Shutdown Directory Opus when the last Lister close ?

Hans L

DOpus is a multi-threaded application. Each new or existing Lister that you open is just a new thread of the main application (the one resident in the taskbar).

When you close one or all listers, all you are doing is closing the threads that generated the lister. The main application remains resident in the tray until you exit it from there.

Like nudel said, the dopusrt.exe is another, separate background-resident program that exists to launch DOpus (the app or a new thread) by double-clicking the desktop.

HTH,
-Jeff

[quote="HansL"]Jeff, if that is true, what is the prurpose of
Shutdown Directory Opus when the last Lister close ?[/quote]
If you enable that option and then close all Opus windows then it should cause dopus.exe (but not dopusrt.exe) to exit.

If it doesn't, try opening a new lister and then closing that. Maybe it doesn't count when you close listers that were already open before the option was turned on or something.

If I turn off the desktop double-click option then dopusrt.exe exits automatically. (It comes back if I turn the option back on.) So I'd guess that's about all that it does, unless it also handles some other things that I'm not using.

Basically, if you use desktop double-click then you want dopusrt.exe to be running. If you don't use it then turn it off and dopusrt.exe should go away. Either way, it only uses a tiny amount of memory.

Jeff, I do not have Dopus in the tray, so I guess I can't that easily exit it. But that is okay, because I mostly only close it accidentally. It is always open.

Nudel, I have no desabled the double-click on the desktop, because, since I open Dopus with a button on the keyboard, I don't need it. 2-4.5 MB is still worth saving in my view (as you said, not much, but ...)

Thanks for all help in this thread.

Regards,

Hans L

Since dopus.exe starts on system start (as long as you keep that startup entry enabled), it's probably a good idea to have the dopus icon in the tray. You get right-click context menu items and double-click opens a lister.

Go to Prefs>Miscellaneous>Windows Integration and check the box next to Add Icon to the Taskbar Status Area.

-Jeff

Jeff, my tray is chock full with icons that I really need there. Since I have three monitors, I see DOpus most of the time, and can do most of my stuff in its window. Thanks, anyway.

Hans L

Personally, I have a hotkey defined (Windows + Q) that runs the Close PROGRAM command. This means I can start Opus using Windows + E and quit it using Windows + Q, for great muscle-memory justice.

Isn't dopusrt also always gonna run in the background if you have system wide hotkeys defined as well?

No, hotkeys only work when the main program is running.