Still no text-editor viewer plugin in Opus 12?

Just making sure I didn't miss it; the new version of Opus still doesn't have a text editor viewer plug-in? Maybe 6 years ago, there was an awesome viewer plug-in that made it possible to edit text files right in the viewer pane, but unfortunately it doesn't exist anymore. It was super useful, especially when one needs to make a variety of small edits to many different files, and I've been hoping for years that it'll return, either as a new plug-in or a built-in Opus function.

There's a beta one in the plugin development forum, although there hasn't been much activity lately from the author so I don't know what the current status is.

This one? Plugins: New source code editor based on Scintilla for W7 and x64?

Yup, that was the one I remember. I saw "Syntax coloured source-code viewer (32 & 64 bit)" listed under Viewer & VFS Plugins, but that seems to be only a viewer, not an editor. Is anyone working on an editor?

The thread Tenebrous linked started off as a conversation about the old viewer but became a conversation about the new one that gdobin is working on.

Might be easier to find the most relevant posts via gdobin's list of posts.

I'm not sure if his plugin is destined to be a full editor or just a viewer, now I think about it.

We may write one ourselves if no one else does, eventually.

A basic editor for just quick-editing .txt-files really would be fine.

1 Like

It's waste of time to making text editor inside filemanager. Opus should has modern viewers for files, but editing them is work for other type of programs. BTW. basic editor for just quick-editing .txt files is Notepad - with proper Opus configuration it takes no longer than half of a second to open any file. :slight_smile: Let's focus on viewers improvement, not editors.

Maybe for you, but lots of us requested it long before you were Opus-user! And for administration (why I use DO-USB) it would be fine.

That is why I asked how to make relative paths to programs (and get answer, thank you) - for USB DO. So I have my favorite editor with DO on the same pendrive and everything works. I still believe (and "lot of us" - if we start to talk about ourselves in the plural) that good viewer is more important. Making good text editor is really complex task and making small notepad-replacement is waste of time.

Where's the problem? You can easily integrate e.g. Notepad++ with DO-USB using aliases.

If you don't know it better, just keep quiet. I'll ignore your posts from now on, discussing with you is too stressful.

Excatly - that is what I wroted. So you don't need internal text editor.

Like many others, I've wanted one for quite some time. Thanks, peterb, for your input.

yes, cannot agree more!

1 Like

yes, cannot agree more![/quote]
+1

I used that editor viewer plugin back in the days, it was quite handy and allowed quick and easy editing of config files and stuff. Nobody expects such an editor to go beyond what notepad.exe offers, so functionality wise it would offer things already there. The twist is the hot-editing possibility of the files you are currently viewing. Not requiring to open another application by context menu, not switching windows and no need to save and close this application is the win with something like that.

The gdobin text viewer with support for syntax highlighting is quite nice already for viewing, currently it's not maintain the way it deserves but if that plugin would allow editing of files, you'd basically have what's asked for. The underlying control the viewer uses already allows editing if I remember correctly. Editing only seems to be disabled. I guess the handling of edited files, when to save, what dialog to come up with and talking back to DO so things work as smooth as expected is what holds the editing feature back. Again, I'm just guessing. o)

@tbone: That's it! If people tell me to use Notepad etc. for simple things I just can say: You can use JPEGViewer or similar, too, no better viewer needed.

We're talking about basic management, not an editor supporting programming-languages, dictionaries and all that stuff (like no one expect DO's viewer to be as complex as Photoshop). There's an .ini, a .reg, a .bat that I just want to quick edit in preview pane. For all other things indeed there're good editors.

The plugin API is fully documented, go for it :slight_smile:

What does GP pay for the hired dev I would need? :slight_smile:

There is difference between viewer and editor. Photoshop is image editor while IrfanView is "only" viewer, but is powerfull even if can't edit photos (except few small options). The same difference is between Adobe Premiere and PotPlayer (for example) - one is video editor, second is just video player. Even if I don't expect that Opus will be any kind of editor (except mp3 tags - it's nice feature), I may expect that will be nice and complex "viewer" for many files. That is why is (in my opinion) more important to improve scaling up images or displaying video files, than editing text. Even if editor will be made, it starts to be separate section of DO and people start demanding more and more functionality. It may be nice and I'm not against it (more options = better program) but in my opinion there are better things to do in Opus.

Sorry , but I don't agree at all . The impassable barrier difference between viewer and editor does not exist expect the filesystem itself is read-only or similar reasons.
First of all, the editor usually also be a viewer, or ,can be as a viewer.
Secondly, the viewer is some type of editor.Evenif you just rename your file, you actually edit some data in your harddisk. The difference between "view" and "editor" is Particle size . Adobe Premiere is a "editor", however, After Effects is also a "editor"! Evenif stormplayer is a "player"="viewer" , it offers the function to convert rmvb to mp4, evenif ACDSEE is a picture viewer, it can adjust the contrast and brightness of a picture ! Viewer is just "so called"--like "PR and AE" in higher level -- to differ the usage, or for different people to use.
Since TXT is such a simple ,and common type -------- like Texteditor is anywhere--------- ,any "viewer" or "editor“ has the responsibility to give limited, and simple support.
What's more , my ideal plugin-in is already realized , in ten years ago , like RTF Viewer(and the editor ), code viewer , they are just not available .
The scene of using was already said above. I would not like to repeat...Evenif it required 32 bit system , I am willing to roll back to 32bit system...
After all , a software is aimed to easy to use, and it does not require strictly classification. Thank you.