Suddenly when I try to open my previously working listers, DO hangs

I don't know what I did, but I will confess I was messing around with a batch file to open WordPerfect and run a macro. It may be a total coincidence, but I doubt it. . .

I am using Directory Opus Pro 12.33 Build 8659 x64
OS 10.0 (B:19045 P:2 T:1) SP 0.0

I can right click on my desktop and select New Lister and that works.

If I right click on my desktop and select one of my listers, it opens and DO stops responding.

I guess it is not the end of the world. I created a new lister like one that stopped working and I deleted, and I can access it normally. I don't have that may listers, and I doubt any of them were very complicated (for me that is -- I know they are primitive in the DO universe)

But how would I troubleshoot this in case i ever design grandiose listers and it happens again?

I don't see how my batch file efforts would affect DOPUS , but here is what i was futzing with:

@echo off
;START regards the first quoted parameter as the window-title, unless it's the only parameter - and any switches up until the executable name are regarded as START switches.
start "" /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\WordPerfect Office 2021\Programs" "WPWIN21.exe" /new /m-"z:\Wpwindat\Macros\mm.wcm"

My unease is that although it works it does one inexplicable thing when I run it in CMD:

I get this weird Windows error message that says "Windows cannot find 'regards'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

When I dismiss that message it runs as intended.

Anyway that problem is not yours. Just full disclosure, kind of like my clients who start telling me their life history as background to their legal problem. Sorry --Chris

OK, before anyone points out that ";" does not remark out lines in a batch file and that my purported remark started with a START command and the word "regards" right their in plain English, I did figure that out after I quit worrying that I had a virus or broke my computer or that my sign was in retrograde. Perhaps some of you will find that a little amusing while shaking your heads in disbelief. . . --Bonehead

How long have you waited? If something is querying a network drive that doesn't exist on the network, Windows can take up to 30 seconds for that to timeout, which can sometimes block the window. (In Opus 13, you'll see a message informing you about it in most cases, and can cancel it. Opus 12 doesn't have that though.)

If the window is frozen for longer than a minute, please make some snapshots and send them to us, and we may be able to see what's wrong from those.

OK, thanks for getting back so quickly. Your response made logon to the file server, and I could not. I finally had to leave my cocoon and go to the office. Server was unresponsive, rebooted, Windows updated, and after awhile all was back to normal.

I used to be better at troubleshooting this stuff, but I got there with a little help. Guess I need to log into the server periodically to see what is going on. Hazard of working at home. Out of sight, out of mind. You guys are very kind to us old farts . . .

1 Like