[Suggestion] Copy dialog indicator for insufficient space

Since DOpus knows the exact size of all files to be copied I want to propose that DOpus shows a little indicator (red mark) informing about insufficient space on the destination volume. Thus the user can clean up the destination volume (e.g. deleting files) until the red mark disappears.

BTW: Why doesn't DOpus show the total size of the copy job in the progress dialog?

Example: Have a look at the attached progress dialog. It will take about 45min until completion but I already know that it will fail because there are 5 GB less space. Actually DOpus "knows" that too but it ignores that. Thus it would be nice if DOpus exposes that to me ...

Making that accurate is actually very difficult, and it can end up being misleading.

I don't have time to go into thw details, although I think there are some old threads on the forum about this. Same reason almost nothing on Windows tries to do this. (As well as the fact people very rarely do things that fill up disks in this day and age.)

Opus already lets you see the total size of selected files, and free space, before copying, so you can use that as a rough guide.

[quote="leo"]Making that accurate is actually very difficult, and it can end up being misleading.

I don't have time to go into thw details, although I think there are some old threads on the forum about this. Same reason almost nothing on Windows tries to do this. (As well as the fact people very rarely do things that fill up disks in this day and age.)

Opus already lets you see the total size of selected files, and free space, before copying, so you can use that as a rough guide.[/quote]
Including the total copy size and target space on the dialog would be handy. This could be highlighted as red if the copy size is greater than the target space.

It would not be reliable, and then people would complain that sometimes "it said things would fit, but then it ran out of space anyway". (Or the other way around, it said things would not fit, but they did.)

Accurately predicting how much space files will take up on a disk is a hard problem on Windows/NTFS (where file data and metadata can be stored in unpredictable ways), and that's even without considering whether or not files are overwriting other files or being deleted in the background, and without even thinking about junctions and mount points below the destination folders, or compressed filesystems or remote NAS devices that don't even use NTFS or...

How often do you run out of disk space these days, anyway? And you're usually aware of disk space issues when doing something unusual, in my experience, in which case you would check things look like they will fit up front.

Some of those things and others are discussed in detail here: blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/arc ... 36219.aspx

It would not be reliable, and then people would complain that sometimes "it said things would fit, but then it ran out of space anyway". (Or the other way around, it said things would not fit, but they did.)

Accurately predicting how much space files will take up on a disk is a hard problem on Windows/NTFS (where file data and metadata can be stored in unpredictable ways), and that's even without considering whether or not files are overwriting other files or being deleted in the background, and without even thinking about junctions and mount points below the destination folders, or compressed filesystems or remote NAS devices that don't even use NTFS or...

How often do you run out of disk space these days, anyway? And you're usually aware of disk space issues when doing something unusual, in my experience, in which case you would check things look like they will fit up front.[/quote]
Those are valid points. You cant tell if you are overwriting files, of how the file system will deal with the files, or if your moving things on that drive while the copy is happening.
I do think there is a difference between saying "this wont fit" and telling the user they have x-size remaining to copy and the destination has y-space available. How useful that would be to people I'm unsure, there are times I would have found this useful.
Its very rare I run out of space.

On a daily manner? :open_mouth:

For security reasons we have different networks and different systems for different purposes. Thus we need to frequently use large USB-Sticks to transfer data between these networks. Most of these USB-Sticks are pretty full and you always need to check whether the destination drive has enough space or not. Certainly our fixed disks have never run out of space but the mobile disks frequently do.

And whether a copy job does fit on the destination drive or not is often a question of GB and not a of MB (which may be affected by cluster size and meta data). If you say the total size is not reliable you are right but the total size that is displayed within the lister itself (before the copy job is started) has the same reliability. Thus I can not see any disadvantage in showing the total and remaining file size to be copied within the progress dialog since it is nothing more than a hint.

As you certainly know it's hard to find any file manager that does not show remaining and total file size within the progress dialog. As far as I remember this issue was one of the first things I stumbled over when I installed DOpus many years ago for the first time. I'm pretty sure that this is the reason why this topic pops up every few month (particurlarly because Explorer shows both information). :laughing:

At least for our team it would be very useful! :thumbsup: