Suggestion for image converter

When resizing an image using the internal dopus converter, and aspect ratio enabled, it would be great that changing either width or height, would automaticaly calculate the corresponding set the corresponding width/height and set the width/height input gadget with this value...

That could be confusing if you are resizing more than one image at once, though, since the calculated number would not apply to images with different dimensions.

Well, both are confusing I guess... Because you don't know which will be taken into account (I mean: usually when I use this function, I know I want a height=yy, or width=xx, so I set this... The thing is I don't know after I have set it if DOpus will use the width, or height and change the width/height so that it matches the original aspect... this is somewhat confusing as well)

If you only enter a number for one dimension then it will expand/reduce the dimension that you've entered a number for (so that it matches your number) and, if set to maintain the aspect, adjust the other dimension to maintain the aspect.

If you enter numbers for both dimensions and have it set to maintain the aspect then it will reduce the image (maintaining aspect ratio) until it fits in the square that you have defined.

That's not confusing is it?

Well, I'm stritly talking about the user interface, not the resizing process...

In other apps which allow resizing, on the resize dialog window, when changing a dimension, and having aspect ratio set to "keep", it will change the other dimension, so that it reflects what will be the resized image...

The problem with DOpus, is that you don't know the exact size of the resulting image, unless you do the maths on your own, as making changes on one dimension won't be reflected on the other dimension input gadget... It means that if you're not sure, you have to actually launch the resize process, find out that well, the height is too big, so run a new conversion, try something smaller, etc...

If you want to resize to a certain height, just enter the height and leave the width empty.

I tend to agree with leo (42)... If you want to maintain aspect ratio and you open the image convert dialog on a given file that is say... 1280x1024; the initial resize selection is "Small (640x480)". If you then change that to "Custom size" the height and width fields become editable with 640 and 480 in each field.

• If you edit the value of 'one' of the fields, the 'other' field value is left alone and it's not clear to a user which value the resize function will actually operate on.

For instance, take a 1280x1024 jpg... Select resize and get a default size of 640 x 480 as mentioned above. Enter 1024 for the width... At a minimum I'd say the 'intuitive' result would have been for the resize to have taken my 1024 width spec as priority... but it actually resized down to 600x480...

I guess you have to take ONE of the values as the one you'll operate on... but it would be alot more intuitive if you auto-adjusted the other value. As is now, it's sort of shooting match to figure out which value to edit to get a desired target width or height...

As leo42 says, many similar tools in other apps auto-adjust the value of the 'other' field to an apsect ratio adjusted value based on the one you hard define in the field you've edited.

Then you should enter 1024 for the width and erase the height.

Doing anything else would remove the ability to tell Opus that you want to resize an image into a given rectangle while preserving its aspect ratio.

Resizing to 1024x480 while preserving aspect, as in your example, tells Opus to shrink the width and height until the image fits in a 1024x480 rectangle.

If the image is really wide then it'll probably be shrunk until its width is 1024 and its height is less than 480.

If the image is really tall then it'll probably be shrunk until its height is 480 and its width is less than 1024.

If you just want the image's width to be set to 1024 in all circumstances, and have its height adjusted accordingly to preserve the aspect, then you shouldn't be specifying a height at all.

If the height automatically updated when you typed in a width then:

a) It would have an impact on all files that are being resized, which may be unwanted.

b) It would be impossible to tell Opus to resize a batch of files to fit into a rectangle, except where the desired rectangle happened to have the same aspect ratio as the first selected image.

IMO there is nothing confusing here, you just have to understand what the inputs mean. (Other batch-conversion programs work in exactly the same way, too.)

I guess there could be a static display which would show you what the current image is going to resize to. Maybe that would alleviate the confusion some people are experiencing?

Then there should be two different dialogs wether you're doing batch conversion, or single file conversion... This update of the other dimension is really a must and found in any picture resize dialog (any viewer that provide basic resize/conversion fonctionnality, more advanced editors,...)