Suggestion: STOP Audio Playback

Seeing that the internal sound player has a stop button, I hope it's not too far fetched wishing for a way to tap into its operation via a command. Either in a new command such as StopPlay or as an argument to current Play command, e.g. STOP.

My use case is browsing my library of samples: I don't like the sound player's popup, so I've made a button (and keyboard shortcut) to play selected .wav files in a faceless fashion:

@hidenosel:type=*.wav
Play {allfile} QUIET

... Which works great except for one thing. I always have to listen to the whole file, which is a drag. I desperately hope to somehow be able to stop playback! :slightly_smiling_face:

Besides a pure "Stop all" command, here's a thought (pseudocode) for a more intelligent operation when issuing the Play command:

If no audio is being played then
    play the selected file(s)

If audio is being played AND the file you are going to play is NOT the same as the currently playing file then
    Play selected file(s)

If audio is being played AND the file you are going to play IS the same as the currently playing file then
    Stop all playback

Dopus' potential for us sound designers is vast. Albeit not yet perfected. :wink:

Using the viewer pane might be a good option for that. Depending on what is configured to display wav files there, it can auto-play them and will stop when another file is selected or the panel is closed.

We'll add a STOPALL argument for the Play command in the next update which will stop any currently playing background sounds (i.e. those started in QUIET mode).

2 Likes