Suggestions For New Features

I haven't found a dedicated place for suggestions, so I hope here is okay.

I have used v11 for over a year and am trying v12. There are three things I want to suggest for improvements, all of which are cosmetic but they matter to me.

One is that each text line in a folder or directory in the right pane are too close together [up and down] and I would find it easier on my poor eyes if the spacing were increased [like in windows file explorer], or at least be adjustable by the user.

The second is that while folders and files are color adjustable, drive letters in the tree are not. Again, I for one would be glad of the ability to adjust this to suit myself.

The third is that drives and folders over IN THE TREE are not individually adjustable for color or font. They can be changed, but only the whole bunch at once; not individually. I particularly would like to control this because I have some drives that are my primary drives, while others are backup drives. I would really appreciate the ability to make a visible color difference between them so I can see at a glance which is which.

Thank you.

This is the correct place, but please ask one question per thread (in general).

For Details mode, Preferences / File Display Modes / Details / Extra line spacing can adjust that. There are similar settings for Power mode, Thumbnails and Tiles (but not List mode).

For both of those, turn on Preferences / Folder Tree / Appearance / Use configured file display colors for tree items and you can then assign Labels to folders and drive letters which can change the colors, font style (bold, italic, etc.) and other visual details of individual paths, if that's what you want.

If you want to change colors/fonts for the whole tree, that's done under Preferences / Display / Colors and Fonts.

Adding on to the line spacing requests. I'd like to be able to increase either the spacing and/or padding of the items in the Folder Tree pane. I like the bigger hit area in the Windows 10 Explorer tree.

Thanks

Make sure Preferences / Display / Options / Use visual style to draw items (overrides selection colors) is on as that increases item spacing, including in the tree. (Explorer in Win10 still has one or two pixels extra, but the two are quite similar, and the hit targets are pretty large in both.)

Thank you for the reply to my initial query. I have applied the line-spacing solution and consider that resolved.

The other two [combined] issues I can't resolve yet.

I have ensured that 'Preferences / Folder Tree / Appearance / Use configured file display colors for tree items' is ticked. So that is done.

I then went to the 'Labels' link in Help, but found it was describing something I don't see in the Dopus I have.

In 'Favorites and Recent' there is no section called 'Labels'; the closest is 'File and folder Labels'. Inside that I see the colored labels and ability to create more, but any attempt to assign a color label to anything has the 'OK' box greyed out; ie, I can't make it carry out the instruction. There also is no 'Status' section at all.

Also, when I go to the menu bar and pull down 'Properties', 'Set Label' and 'Status' are certainly there, but when I open either of them I don't get the colored choices shown in the Help page, but instead i get the Properties manager from Windows File Explorer [the one that has tabs for Location, General, Previous Versions, etc.]. I don't get the clored label choices that are illustrated in the Help page.

I have searched for some box in Preferences to tick or untick that would seem relevant to make Labels work but I've failed. I would be grateful for further help on this. Thank you.

[quote]I then went to the 'Labels' link in Help, but found it was describing something I don't see in the Dopus I have.

In 'Favorites and Recent' there is no section called 'Labels'; the closest is 'File and folder Labels'.[/quote]

It sounds like you are looking at the manual for Opus 12, but using Opus 11.

What does Help > About Directory Opus say the version is?

You were right: I was still on v.11. I don't know how I managed that. I had installed v.12 some days ago so I thought that was where I was, but I must have done something to default back to v11. Your tip paid off. Thank you.

I have now reinstalled v.12 and then found the label and status categories you said I should find, and have successfully changed my drive colors.

I am still trying to expand the space in the tree. I followed the direction about ' Use visual style to draw items (overrides selection colors)', and while it helped, the lines are still too close together for my liking. Maybe this isn't a solvable problem.