Suggestions for Opus Directory

Dear OD developers
Good day

Thank you so much for the incredible app you've developed (Directory Opus). I've been using it for more than four years. It never disappointed me. plz consider these suggestions in next versions:

• allow user to drag and drop files and folders in custom tool bars without need to open customize window.
  • add files to favorites like folders.
  • in version 12, when renaming folders/files, the focus is on old name instead of new name (this was not the situation in older versions), plz consider fixing that.
  • add a function (with a hot key) to allow sticky selecting of files/folders without need to enable power mode or displaying check boxes. this is available in the NexusFile app if you want to check what i mean (space key for selecting multiple folders/files).
  • add a side bar or toolbar for favorites instead of list.

thanks again for your amazing software.

regards,
Muhammed

Thanks for the feedback!

We feel it would be too easy to accidentally change the toolbars if they worked like that, without explicitly entering toolbar editing mode.

That said you can do similar things using a folder and shortcuts, or similar, depending on exactly what you want to use the generated buttons for.

Favorites is for navigation. I'm not sure having files there would make much sense? There are other places you can add files to quickly launch them, however. e.g. Toolbars and menus.

You can change it back to the old behavior if you want:

Download the latest beta (link in my signature) and you can use Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced: rename_default_focus.

But note that if you are just typing the name of each file individually, it's often quicker to use inline rename (F2) from the file display, or to type over the New Name column in the preview list at the bottom of the Rename dialog (with the "use preview list to build macros" option turned off).

You can use the middle mouse button for that. It does the same as holding Ctrl and clicking with the left mouse button, but without having to touch the keyboard.

You can move the favorites list to the top level of a toolbar, or add turn it on at the top of the folder tree which is probably better.

Thanks Leo for your quick reply :slight_smile:)

The idea is not so bad. It could be made so, that it would work, if (for example) Ctrl-Alt is held down? That would minimize the risk of accidentally dragging stuff into the toolbars.

Maybe plus Delete for even greater safety?

The idea isn't bad in principle, but who would provide a third hand to push the mouse?

you can set an option for toolbars to be locked or editable. for example, one may set menu toolbar as locked and application toolbar as editable.
another idea is a confirm dialogue when icon is removed from toolbar.

Oh you :smiley: